District Camping Committee

I have been asked to consider becoming chair of our District Camping Committee. Our District is only 2 years old, and we have never had a Camping Committee. What little I know tells me the committee works closely with the OA chapter, promotes camping among the units, and supports the Council Camping Committee dealing with camp properties. Is there a more complete job description? Anything else I should know? I've been told that planning Camporees comes under the Activities Committee, not Camping.

Cub Scout Day Camp is your baliwick too. The OA Adviser is also part of your committee. A camporee is considered a "competitive skill event", which is an activity rather than a campout. You'll want the Camping Committee Guide too.

Hmmmm...Cub Day Camp. That could be a deal-breaker. We traditionally have a heck of a time finding Day Camp Directors and staff. One of the districts had to cancel Day Camp last year as a last resort. You have to find not only someone willing and eager, but who also doesn't have a day job. That narrows the field significantly.

Your Camp committee job shouldnt include becoming Cub Scout Day Camp Director. Youll be involved with promotion the Day Camp, budgets, and possibly with the site selection(s). But, the Day Camp Directors job is a separate job.

When you get the Camp Committee Brochures, one of the first things you should notice is that it takes a lot of people to make the committee work. Start thinking about people who can help you, and support your efforts in doing a good job.

Agreeing with Fotoscout. The chairman of the Camping and Outdoor committee is not doing his job if he becomes the Day Camp director. The job of the chairman is to see to it that people are in place to run the event. You, your program chairman, and district chairman have a responsibility to see that the camping committee gets staffed. Work with them and your nominating committee.

Yeah, I know the "book version", too. That's the same thing the book says about the Training Committee. In reality, it didn't work that way, and yours' truly got stuck doing ALL the training. That's the main reason I'm looking to change jobs after 2 years. Being in a military community with highly transient people, it's rare to be able to find a "staff" who will be around long enough to actually learn the job and be useful. So, I'm looking at this with an eye toward, "would I be willing to do it myself if I have to?" Being Day Camp director is a definite "no way." Just heard from a fellow Training Chair in a neighboring district...their Fall Camporee didn't happen due to lack of a volunteer to be Campmaster.

Is it my imagination, or are people becoming more selfish with their time?

NOTE to OGE: Salary for a District Day Camp Director???? Must be nice!