meeting attendance

What is the current rate of exchange for a boys character in the cost of stamps and phone calls today. How much might you spend before you would decide that a boy wasn't worth that much? A half doven stamps and a half dozen un-answered calls might cost what? $3? Is a boy not worth that anymore?

How does one take up an inactive spot in a patrol? The patrol is still free to recuit other boys.

Why would a unit even consider removing a boy until A) He was a danger to himself or others B) his activity caused an undo hardship on the ability to deliver a program C) his membership expired? There is nothing to gain and a boy to lose.

Pamaha,

If a scout leader signed the "be active in your troop and Patrol" and "Actively serve in a leadership position" then your board has two people to review, the scout and the Scoutleader.

In the situation you described you have every right to require that he go back and fulfill the requirements as stated in the handbook. Then the committee needs to discuss with the leader why the requirements are being signed when they have not been met.

If the scout is in the troop to become Eagle then someone needs to explain to him how that is done. He must complete the requirements as eaxplained in the handbook, no more and certainly no less.

If those two requirements had not been done you could review the rest of the requirements and tell the scout you look forward to talking with him again when they have been completed to determine if he will advance.

Bob White

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If a scout leader signed the "be active in your troop and Patrol" and "Actively serve in a leadership position" then your board has two people to review, the scout and the Scoutleader.

In the situation you described you have every right to require that he go back and fulfill the requirements as stated in the handbook. Then the committee needs to discuss with the leader why the requirements are being signed when they have not been met."

So what you are saying is event though the requirement(s) is signed off in the Scout's book the BOR can make the Scout do the requirement(s) again?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

As I have said before the Advancement regulations do not allow the BOR to re-test but it does allow the board to ask how the requirement was met. If the scout did not do what the reqirement specified, the Board (upon a unanimous decision) can have the scout complete the requirement as explained in the handbook. Then return for his advancement.

This is a two way street however. Which is why committee members do BORs, they need to correct the problem where it began and make sure that the advancement process is managed properly by the adult leaders, specifically the Scoutmaster, who is ultimately responsible for the troop program.

Bob White

And you have also said if the requirement is signed off it is completed regardless of how. Now you are saying the BOR can make the Scout redo the requirement? But can't re-test? What's the difference?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

The conversations we have had where I said that the once signed the advancement could not be taken away pertained to two situations. In regard to Merit Badges, the merit badge counselor. In regards to other advancement no individual can remove advancement that has been signed and I have used as a resource the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual for both situations. No individual can negate advancement but the Board of Review (BOR) can.

I have also said, using the same resource, that a BOR cannot retest, but can question the scout on how the advancement was earned and can choose to not advance the scout under specific conditions of completing the requirement as explained in the handbook.

There is A big difference. The BOR cannot ask the scout to tie a clove hitch but can ask the scout what he did to complete that requirement to tie a clove hitch. For instance, the scout could say that he put up a clothes line at camp and attached one end to a tree with a clove hitch.

If however he said the Troop instructor held up a knot and asked what it was and when he said clove hitch so the instructor signed his book, the BOR would be within its authority to tell the scout that the requirement is that HE tie the knot not the instructor. The board will talk to the SM and give the scout an opportunity to pass the requirement according to the handbbok.

The BOR then talks to the scoutmaster and explains that he/she has the responsibility to train others to properly advance the scouts. Tell the SM that the BOR expects the scouts to do what is in the Handbook, and no differently.

Does this explain the difference?

Bob White

As I understand it (although perhaps not documented - I don't recall), there are two purposes to a BOR.

1. Verify the Scout is ready for advancement (we've talked plenty about this), and

2. Members of the Troop Committee perform a quality control check of the SM-led program side of the house. If they have any questions or concerns about this, they talk to SM.

I encountered a situation like described in previous posts about 2 months ago when I was asked to support a BOR in another troop. When we asked our young Star candidate about what he had done in his POR, he stammered a bit and finally said (and I quote), "Pretty much nothing." Upon further discussion, he said he knew the expectations, but just hadn't done anything. We asked the Scout to leave the room and agreed that the requirement hadn't been met. The SM was not at meeting that week, so we talked to him later. SM is now working with the Scout (who SM knew wasn't ready for Star) to help him succeed and his Asst SM (who signed the book and shouldn't have) to get him properly trained.

This situation should never have occurred for a variety of reasons, but is an example of how BOR serves as a check in the system.

Excellent post Mike F, The documentation on the purpose of the BORs as you have accurately described them is in the Scoutmaster Handbook and in the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual.

Your example of how a BOR should work is right on the money.

Bob White