How do we choose a District Chairman?

Coming in as the District Commissioner, the DE and I have to sit down and actually find a District Chair. The DE months ago, with the approval from Council, started a nominating committee that fell apart after two months.

Now months later we sorta have a District Committee. The District Advancement and Training Chairs are filled by long time Scouters. But we don't have anyone for the other positions.

Some of the long time Scouters, say the District Chair should have some Scouting Experience. I'm not sure of where to head on this. Our Scout Center Office Manager has told me that their is a list of candidates the nominating committee has listed but has no idea of where it's at.

My feeling is that the DE and myself should go down the list and visit these candidates.

What is the proper way of recruting a District Chair? Should I let the DE handle this or help him to fill this needed position?

Since we have two positions filled in the District Committee, The District Chair is now the one that needs to be filled to get the Committee on its feet and working. The three then can work to fill the other empty positions.

Matua

Matua:

The right way to find a district chairman is through the nominating committee process. However, you pointed out that the right way fell apart.

So now it's time to try alternate methods.

Actually, now that I've printed your post, I'm going to recommend that you follow the nominating committee method, but with a tiws.

I think you and the DE are now a 2.75 person nominating committee. One person is your DE, the other is yourself. The .75 person is the Scout Executive/DE's supervisor/Executive Board of the Council.

According to the position description of a District Commissioner, you could throw up your hands and let the matter rest in your DE's lap, but I suspect you're not built like that.

It's not uncommon for long-time Scouters to feel that their District Chairman should have scouting experience, but I disagree. I think it's a nice bonus if they do, but they don't really need it. Your position will rely strongly on previous Scouting experience in many ways -- from helping to solve unit problems, wearing the uniform correctly, training unit commissioners and ADC's, etc.

The District Chairman needs knowledge of the community, ability to recruit, understanding of membership as customers, running meetings, etc.

As to the role of your Scout Center Office Manager -- most Office Managers in Scouting are hourly support staff. There are a few who are professionals, but very few. There are probably 5 and they are in major metropolitan councils. The Office Manager in your council may have a list, but I wouldn't use it if I were you. Not because the office manager offered it, but because I think the DE and yourself should put together your own list.

Try this:

Sit down with the DE and a blank piece of paper. Ask yourselves what you need from a district chairman. You obviously need recruiting skills (which do not necessarily require the chairman to know what a camping chairman does -- the DE can supply that) so the Chairman can fill the slots that are not currently occupied by volunteers. Does the disttrict need to raise more money? Then you need a chairman with deep pockets of his/her own and the ability to reach into others?

Build your list of needs from a district chairman. Then prioritize those needs.

Once the list of needs is built (this could be called a profile for the position,) then you and the DE need to "dream and scheme" who would best fit those needs. Don't say no for people. If the CEO of the biggest corporation of the council is a prospect, list them. Don't assume that you can't get to them or that they will say no out of hand. It may be the Commander of the closest military base. Let the mind run free.

Then go on and grow the list to as many names as you find acceptable. Don't rule out women either. One of the best district chairs I ever served with was female.

Once the new list is developed, prioritize your candidates based on ability to do the job (from your perspective.)

Have the DE run the prioritized list past his/her supervisor and then prepare a plan to start at the top and work your way down. Find out who that person can not say no to -- if you can. Have that person with you on the recruiting call. Always tell the prospect, "We feel you're the best person for this important job. We need your help."

If number one turns you down, you can certainly tell the same thing to number two. Because number one is no longer a prospect, you can tell them that in good conscience.

Also, if you get turned down, ask the person you're trying to recruit for their recommendations and if you can use their name to get to their recommended person. If you can, try to get the person who turned you down to go with you on the call. Very often, they are the person the person you're trying to recruit can not say no to.

Always have a one page position description with you and explain the needs of your district. Don't undersell the position of the requirements, but also don't bury them with manuals, etc. Have a folder with you with a job description, perhaps the District Chairman pamplet and a fact sheet that outlines the geography of the district, number of units, membership, finance, etc. Not much more than that.

Good luck, Matua. Please print this post and share it with your DE. Let me know how it turns out.

Dave

Matua,

The man of Steele has a good plan.

There is a work sheet available from National which covers some of the stuff that Dave has brought up.

While I am not a good example of a District Chairman, mainly due to the fact that I was the District Commissioner.

The feeling was that because I was active in the business community and fairly active with the church. Serving on the Diocese Education Committee. That I would do.

I have to admit that I was not the first choice that chap said no.

This is the end of my first year. I have agreed to serve for three years.

My successor has already been earmarked.

He does have a son in the program, but has never been a Scout. He is the president of the local bank.

He will not be as active as I am doing stuff that if the truth was told I have no real business doing. I am invited to all the Blue and Gold Banquets and try to fit in as many as I can. I try to get to all the roundtables. Along with other stuff.

He won't have the time.

He will add a lot to the district in that he seems to know everyone and of course he knows the people with the money and how to ask for it.

I think before you think about asking a scout type I would read over the role of the district.

You as the District Commissioner are the Scout type. You are the one that the units will come to when things are not as they should be.

I wish you and your DE, the best of luck.

Eamonn