When do we sign up???

My daughter will be in 2nd grade next year and she wants to be in girl scouts. Does she start during the summer or do we wait til school starts back up? How do we find a troop in our area?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shelia

Magnolia, TX

you can find GSUSA listed in the phone book. Call the local GSUSA council and they will give you the contacts for Girls Scout Troops in your area.

Here in my area, The Girl Scouts have summer day camps and that's about it. Troop meetings are generally held during the school year.

My daughter just started her third year as a brownie.

Your council would be Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council. This is their website:

http://www.gssjc.org/default.asp

Give them a call and find out who to call about Brownie Troops are in your area.

How active a summer program the Troop has varies widely by Troop. Some continue to meet during the summer on a reduced basis. Some only get together for 1 or 2 activites. Some take the summer off completely. Even if the Troop you pick does not meet during the summer, if you register your daughter now she can go to council summer camps and attend any council summer activites.

One thing to keep in mind, a GS registration year goes from Oct 1 to Sept 30. Talk to the council about having the National registration ($10) pro-rated for this year (but don't count on it).

Your daughter will have fun!