Eagle Scout Council Shoulder Strips

About a year ago, I was doing some surfin on E-bay and I noticed some Eagle Scout CSPs. Even my own council does it. I just wonder how you all think about the ES CSPs? I personally think it is a good idea, BUT... I think that these councils need to have a "neutral" ES CSP (that is a CSP that does not tell the year of obtaining). I mean, I think that ES CSPs are an excellent way of recognizing Eagle Scouts from their own Council.

Welcome to the online campfire!

You read my mind. Our council has special CSPs for Silver Beavers, but not Eagles...I have recently started promoting the idea. A Google search on "Eagle Scout CSP" will get you a lot of ideas...some Councils require proof of Eagle to purchase one.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a small list of councils that have their own EAGLE SCOUT CSP.

Hoosier Trails Council (IN)

Crossroads of America Council (IN)

Central New Jersey Council (NJ)

Hiawatha Seaway Council (NY)

Northern New Jersey Council (NJ)

Narragansett Council (RI/CT/MA)

Simon Kenton Council (OH)

W.D.Boyce Council (IL)

This list may not be complete since I got that list from E-bay. I believe that there might be more councils that have their own CSPs for Eagle Scouts.

As far as policy of who can wear them. I suppose any Eagle Scout. I recently bought one from my council (HTC) and I recently bought a new uniform shirt and I will have my Eagle Scout CSP on it. Some of the above have "neutral" CSPs (that is the CSPs that does not have the year patch issued) and some Specific CSP (i.e. Eagle Scout 2000).

With the patch for youth and the medal/knot for adults, is a CSP going overboard? NESA has hats, neckerchiefs, bolos, etc. Next, we can have red epaulets with little silver eagles emblazoned on them!

I can see how you might think that it would be going overboard.

But when does Scouting not go overboard? Take Jamboree for example. Special CSPs, special neckerchiefs, pins, patches, etc. all for ONE event. Now with the Eagle rank, a scout who attains it, is in elite company (2%-3% of all scouts). It counts a lot more in the "Big Picture of Life" than anything else in scouting. I know everyone has heard the praises for Eagles, but they are well deserved. And remember "Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle".