The answer kinds of depends on what type of drumming the boy is into if its native American handmade the Crazy crow is a great resource you buy the rawhide to make your drum. If however we have a rock and roller on our hands find out what exactly he wants believe me if he is that into it he will know and check E-bay and all local sources there is a robust secondary market in music equipment. It might help to check with his music teacher as to appropriate equipment.

Oopsie.....yep, I meant Native American, because believe me, we have a lot of the other types. My son loves his percussion. He's even got African Tribal Drums.

I looked on Crazy Crow. I'd forgotten about that site. Their stuff looks pretty neat. He's looking to drum with OA and stuff and so I'll probably have to spill the beans to see what type he needs.

Thanks guys for the replies and for noticing I'd forgotten to put Native American in the type of drums...........:-)

MollieD.

• 1 month later...

Aside from Crazy Crow, I would highly recommend Centralia Fur & Hide.

http://www.furandhide.com/

They have kits and supplies available, or just the drum frames if you want only that, and they do ship. Their octagonals are dovetail-joined so they are VERY sturdy.

I live within driving distance of them, so I was able to go down and buy whole horsehides and cut my own drumheads. It was for a group of Webelos for a drum-making session, so going that route for me saved ample $$.