Question on little brother attending Tiger Cub meetings

Hey Scrapper - Welcome to Cub Scouts!!

As you have seen the personality of the den is very much reflected in the personality of the leader! Since you have 3 dens to choose from in your Pack (WOW - What a WONDERFUL thing!) do not AT ALL feel bad about switching dens. HEY ! - We want you to STAY in Scouting. That means finding a spot where you and yours feel comfortable. Your CM should know this!

Different people relate to kids differently. Your leader may be REAL focused on the Tigers themselves. Whatever else you do, do NOT just do a drop off with your Tiger!!!!! And SHAME ON HIM for suggesting that!!!! What is nicest for the leaders is not necessarily the way things should be done. Hey, if that were the case I would have insisted on muzzles for my Girl Scout Troop long ago!! LOL!!

I am permanent Tiger Leader. I have had parents bring sibs (boys & girls) to meetings. Not all the time, but some more than others. As Tiger Leader, you realize that in order to get an Adult Partner at the meetings you might have to have a sib or 2 also. This has never been a big deal with me. The adults are NECESSARY so I will do what it takes! Some of the sibs are older brothers or sisters. Some are in CS or GS. Some are not. Some are younger. I honestly think I like the younger (boys or girls) best. The older ones, if not in scouts, are usually bored stiff. If they are in scouts, the girls are usually comparing CS to GS with CS losing! The older CS sibs are usually either trying to "take over" the activity or pretending to be to old for such nonsense! While all of this is great fun to watch, I really like getting a chance to "brainwash" younger sibs!! There is usually plenty of misc "stuff" for the sib to do. My own kids claim I am a pack-rat. I find neat stuff (to me anyway LOL!) and keep it until a need arrises, so there is always stuff to do (last resort a piece of paper & crayons!). I love to tell the younger sibs that when they get old enough to join Scouts they will have a jump start on the others because they will already have all of these ideas to work with. You should just SEE the gleam in the the eyes (both girls & boys) of those kids! I can see the seed of scouting taking root right before my eyes!

OK - I digress! Bottom line, the year is almost over. The HECK with your Tiger leader, bring your other kids if you need to (bring stuff for them to do though-just in case). For next year, pick a den you are comfortable in! Be an Asst Den Leader!! If not, talk to the leader of which ever den you choose about coming to meetings. Some leaders encourage it, others do not. It really depends on the leader.

Good luck & HAVE FUN!!!!

Nut :)

I don't disagree with anything posted so far, but I in somewhat defense of your Den Leader, I'd ask you to make a honest evaluation of how your three-year-old is effecting the den meeting. There is always one kid who is more of a discipline problem and takes more of a leader's time and attention. Dealing with that is just part of being a Den Leader. But if that kid isn't really member of the den, I can see where a leader could be unhappy about it.

Another thing to consider is how you are handling the little one. Are you supervising him or is he put in the mix with the older boys with the Den Leader being expected to manage everyone? It doesn't have to be an either or thing, but if the Den Leader is feeling dumped on even part of the time, it could be a problem.

A third consideration is how this arrangement effects both your sons. Many times these Junior Cub Scouts are burned out on the program before they are old enough to join, especially if they go to all the meetings but don't really get to participate fully. Also, is your older son getting short-changed by having little bro' tagging along all the time?

I've got a Wolf and a Webelos and am Den Leader for one and assistant for the other. Both my boys would be perfectly happy to go to the other's den meeting all the time, but I make it a point not allow it, unless it is absolutely necessary. Primarily because I think it's important that I spend that individual time with each boy.

Don't take this wrong, I'm not pointing a finger at you. I'm only suggesting you consider another point of view.

Hi Scrapper! That's so neat... Tigers.. gotta luv 'em!

I do pretty much agree with most posts on this thread. Honest evaluations on your toddler, understanding the Den Leader, taking others into consideration, all that. Definitely bring pletny for your 3 yr old to do so that you're not imposing on the den leader!

I know how nerve-racking your situation can be. I have an 11yr old Boy Scout and then my next youngest is a 2yr old... well I have been a Wolf, Bear and Webelo leader... in fact I was a Den Leader all through my pregnancy and still led the den after the baby was born, attached to me in a sling! haha.. those were the good ole days. She's now a toddler, forget it, she's all over the place, also in her Lil' Scout Buddy shirt =) I've had to bring her to Roundtables even and so has my husband.

I am confused as to why you don't know when/where meetings are to be held at? Do they move from place to place? Why aren't they the same time/day every week? Anyhow, hang in there, they'll be crossing over to Wolf in the next couple months and that's a whole different ball game.

Honestly, if you don't HAVE TO BE THERE for your son's Wolf meeting, it might be easier if you don't go to every meeting? Maybe you can do every other? Or once a month or something? The concentration level at the Tiger stage is much lower than the focus level at the Wolf age, requirement wise. If there is a good Wolf Den leader and an Assistant Den leader, along with a couple other active parents, there's no need for every Wolf parent to be at the Den Meeting. But every child is different.

Some kids behave better when their parents just drop them off. Other kids of Wolf age behave better when the parent stays with the child. In some extreme cases, I had a parent once that wouldn't leave his kid alone at the den meeting and had to do all his projects FOR HIM so they would look good. That poor kid never got to be creative and truly was scouting for the father's sake. Needless to say, the kid lost interest and quit scouting. You've got to give the boy room to grow some, on his own, away from his parents. You don't accompany him to school every day right? Same philosophy here, I think.

As far as the snacks go I don't know why they'd give snacks at the beginning or middle of any meeting! I never did, always did it at the end, about 10-15 min. before the meeting was over. And point two, I always had a rotating schedule on a calendar, planned ahead, that I passed out that had each scout's "Snack Day" on it clear as day. Ya can't tell other people what you think they should bring for their snack but you can sure control what YOU provide on your son's Snack Day! =)

Please stick with scouting, it's not just a volunteer job, it's an adventure! Pack Committee is a good place to volunteer when you have a young toddler because it's somewhat behind the scenes and not directly involved with the boys except at Pack functions, which works out good for me, too. It's more administrative than hands-on in my opinion and instead of a weekly obligation, it may narrow down to 1-3 days per month, but may be more "toddler-forgiving" to your situation.

Good luck in what happens, you're in the right place. This is one of the best forums I have found for decent Scouting advice! =)