I am completing my WoodBadgeI as a first time scouter and have to do a Scout's Own. I am not sure how to go about this in a non-religious way. I don't mind the spirituality part, or how the Scout's Own emphasises the Scout promise and law, but I have no idea what to do. Please help. thank you.

I think you may be off phrase with non-religious, rather non-denominational.

For my woodbadge, we covered prayers and poems from many different sources.We also covered the spirituality of the scout oath and law. We used the boyscout oath and law in ours, but the cub scout or venture also works. I would point you in the direction of using things that are spiritual in nature, things that inspire you, things that reveal the beauty and wonder of the world and the awe it inspires. I would suggest that you incorporate songs. "Amen" is a good one. Patriotic Songs are also fitting.

Don't mistake non-denominational as not being able to use anything associated with one religion over another.

Ours had writings from the Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and Islamic Faiths. Respect the other chaplain aides feelings if they do not want to "speak" a part they do not agree with.

So look for those poems you have on the wall, in your wallet or purse for those Ann Landers or Dear Abby columns that you love, your favorite bible verse, koran verse or passage from the Torah.

You could also ask the other patrol to let you know if there is something specific a member would like to be included to represent them. As long as you are not trying to come across as a leader of a specific religion or trying to impart favoritism of one over the other you should be fine.

At our woodbadge, the overwhelming majority was Roman Catholic, so a priest came out on Sunday mornings (about 5:30 or 6:00) to say a mass, we then did our own Scouts' Own Service later in the morning. The same principle can be applied to other religious and their services, with a little prep.

Look to Scoutmaster Minutes. I especially like using the leaders corner of inspirational thoughts found on the web site of Troop 915 Fulton Canal, Ohio, http://members.aol.com/t915/Inspire/Inspire_Frame.htm

Songs and the like at usscouts.org or macscouter

I also use this one http://www.getfed.com/texts/ for christian inspired stories or prayers. Don't be afraid to use a story, we all like a story with a happy ending on Sunday Mornings!