Pink Flamingos, A Legitimate BSA Fund-raiser ?

I saw this used by a Troop while driving on a family vacation last Summer. Do you think it's BSA legit ? (Saw 3 on my hotel's front lawn one Sunday morning).

Pink flamingo yard ornaments with little signs saying something to the effect of : "These birds are nesting here trying to raise money for (organization's name) For a small donation ($10), they will gladly fly to the business or residence of your choice". Contact phone listed. Birds were usually decorated w/ gaudy mardi-gras beads, and sunglasses, and possibly a small flag. They have realtor sign type ground spikes for easy placement.

A small US Flag could be given for supporting the cause and as a personal thank you.

G5

Fundraising regulations require that something of value be received in return for the funds. Otherwise, it is solicitation of a cash donation, which is not allowed at the unit level. Does this qualify?

But the question of who keeps the birds comes up. If you pay the money then they go on to the payor's choice location. So what do you call it then, you don't keep the birds so why would that be considered something of value in return for funds. IMHO I don't like this as a fundraiser for Scouting.

Carol

I would suppose that since you are being paid to deliver the product to a destination determined by the customer that you are in essence performing a service for them. The decision still rests with the local scout executive.

BW

So if the local SE approves a wine & cheese party as a Troop fundraiser, that would be OK?

I don't really like the idea presented here. It sound more like soliciting donations than a fundraiser.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

This discussion has already taken place in a previous thread. There is no BSA policy restricting the local Scout Executive from approving a wine and cheese fundraiser at his or her discretion, providing no youth are present and the activity does not take place on property owned by or operated by the BSA,

I refer you to the Guide to Safe Scouting

section IV

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members.

You are not required to like the idea for it to be approved by the BSA or by the SE. It simply needs to fall within the policies of the BSA and be approved by the local council's SE.

BW

Sounds to me like your a "renting" the flamingo's for a day or what ever the peroiod specified on the agreement is. I would see nothing wrong with this. Sounds like a novel idea.

Where does it say a troop cannot rent its equipment out? We have in the past and will again on a periodic basis when asked.

A Pal of mine placed 40 of these pink birds on his front lawn on the day of his wives birthday.

Last year I did well I ordered Her Who Must Be Obeyed a cake. I got the right day the 26th but was a month early. I wonder if these birds have brains??

Eamonn

I have 4 inflatable Pink Flamingoes that nest and feed in front of my tent or hammock at campouts.

Oddly enough they seem to migrate in the night and appear in front of the Scouts tents!

Got to do a Flamingo Round-up every morning!

This is an outstanding fundraiser!

Think of it like this: You order a bouquet of roses, and pay for delivery. Nice feelings all around (until you get the bill!) Roses get delivered and enjoyed for a few days, then off to the compost pile. Wouldn't it be nice to share the roses with someone else?

So, you get 20 pink flamingos delivered with a note from us that says: "You've been flocked!" with an entry telling you who the sender is.

There are many options going along with this gift: You can choose to forward migration instructions for someone else (or the sender) to receive them, you can choose to have them retrieved, or you can buy them!

You can also purchase an agreement to prevent the birds from returning - one month, two months, six months, or a lifetime agreement. (Threats of plastic bird decapitation automatically earns a lifetime agreement!)

There is a basic test for fundraising in our program: is it a legitimate product or service? does it have a value? along with the rules for not using the uniform as a method to promote it, etc.

It's a very lucrative option for fundraising! And it's hysterical fun to move them! We have had losses, but the fun and the cheer they bring is significant!

We have drivers and youth that perform the migrations of which they get partial credit to their camp fund for any dollars received, which is a donation to the unit. Sometimes there is no donation! Sometimes it's a surprising amount! Donations are sent to the treasurer's post office box so the migration teams don't have to handle money.

It's really good fun working the migration instructions -- map reading, navigation, sometimes even a compass is required! Is this different from having a bouquet of roses delivered?

Big question here is: does it qualify as a conservation project: it's a form of recycling :)