Need Ideas on Scout Account

I need ideas on scout account for various fundraising, eg. popcorn, scout fair ticket sales, planting flags on holidays, etc. What % of the proceeds goes to the scout? How is the account managed? etc. Thank you in advance.

1Hour

You can probably figure this out by using the Unit Budget Plan. Figure out what you need to operate the unit, then figure out how much you will receive from various sources. The amount that goes to the Scout's account will depend on how much you can count on from other sources. We manage the Scout's accounts just by keeping track of it in a ledger book. In reality all of the money is in the Troop checking account. Then when summer camp comes around, we tell the scout how much is in his account and what else he needs to come up with, if any.

A google search on "Scout account" yeilded a lot of pages. The first one I looked at was obviously written by an attorney, and scared me.

I suggest you run the search and steal whatever ideas work for you.

Unc.

OneHour, my committee chairman tends to agree with scoutldr, that is look at what the troop needs and if some is left over, it can go to Scout accounts.

I tend to disagree with that approach myself to a degree. If the troop has a fundraiser and all participate no problem. But what happens if 15% participate and the vast majority do not? In that case, I say put the vast majority of the money in individual Scout accounts (obviously to the Scouts who raised the money).

For popcorn, this is what we are planning to do this year. All money raised by individual sales would go to the individuals Scout Account. All Scouts will be expected to contribute TBD dollars to the troop OR participate a minimum amount of time working show and sell (store sales). That way, the boys (or more likely his parents) can decide to participate in the store sales (high time cost, low dollar cost) or open their wallets (high dollar cost, low time cost). I firmly believe we should allow families the option of fundraising or contributing directly. Granted, the council does not benefit from direct donations to the troop (but we usually are quite generous when it comes to FOS) and the boys may not get the "fund raising experience" but ...

That's not exactly what I intended to convey...

Every unit should use the Unit Budget Plan. If you want to have opportunities for scouts to "earn their way", then plan that into the budget. By the way, that's the preferred method...for scouts to earn their way, rather than just asking Mom and Dad to stroke a check whenever they need to go somewhere. The percentage to go into the scout accounts is up to the unit, recognizing that the balance of the troop operating funds will need to be made up somewhere else. You can tell the scouts up front..."if you want to go to summer camp, you need to sell $X worth of popcorn."

Now, I have had some parents tell me, "just tell me how much you want and I'll stroke a check as long as we don't have to sell anything." They get tired of being bombarded every fall having to do fund raising for PTA, SCA, Band, French Club, Girl Scouts, etc, etc. Their time is worth more to them.

I have to admit to being a very lazy parent when it comes to the troop fund raising events that the troop OJ is in offers.

They have a system where each Scout is asked to keep a $50.00 min. In their Scout account. When the account falls below $50.00 they send a note home.

To my mind they do way too much and far too many fund raising events. Everything seems to be for summer camp but with a price tag of only $160.00 it is just too easy to write a check. We do sell popcorn, and he likes the car washes and participating in the Hogie sales on the side of the road. We don't have a very big family. All what is left of mine is on the other side of the pond. Both of Her That Must Be Obeyed, parents were only children. Her Father passed away and she has one brother. I do take the popcorn order form to work. But selling stuff is tough. It is cheaper to write the check that for us to buy a lot of stuff that we don't really need.

Eamonn

I think the Scout Account really aids and motivates Scouts who can see their personal efforts bringing them closer to their target activity. A good plan is one that works for you and the other leaders who have to manage it and manage the unit's other funds so that essentials and program are supported as well as individual boys.

Eamonn's comments made me remember an idea I've worked on over the last several years...

We keep asking for $ and support from the same people over and over again. And it seems to be the same people who give of their time that end up being the most reliable fundraisers (one way or another), as well. And, I don't mean that to be critical of supporters who can't give time or money. (Pardon me while I walk on eggshells for a few days...I'm still reeling from a different thread.) What I mean to contribute to the conversation is that we need to find new ways to gather support from new sources. And, yes, I know and understand the BSA's restrictions and requirements. It's quite possible to work this out and maintain the integrity of our standards.

In most urban/suburban areas there are huge shopping zones (malls, plazas, Mills, Outlets, etc.). These places gather together new sources of money and support(shoppers) for groups like ours, PTOs, charitable groups and other organizations that depend on public contributions.

So, here's the idea...(and I've tried this and been narrowly shot down, but I think someone out there can find a way to make it work)...Establish one of those ubiquitous seller's carts that are found in every mall in America. Hire it out to all those groups looking for access to a great fundraising market. Take an administrative cut for expenses and to allow you to support your own org. of choice. Let's say 10% of net profit. An elementary school does a bake sale in the mall, raising $100 and you and your group make $10. The middle school sells wrapping paper and makes $1000 -- you make $100.

The concept is simple. You win in consistent small ways. The efforting organizations win through access to large untapped groups of shoppers. Even, the mall wins because invariably the fundraising group motivates a bunch of their own tried and true supporters to come shopping and support this fundrasising effort - thus the mall gets additional revenue, as well. The details, however, can get complicated as you consider each organization's financial regs, as well as the mall mgmt's concerns and obligations. I've come very close to making this work in one of the largest shopping centers in the midwest. Of course, a detail here and a legal issue there and getting close can turn out to be no better than not trying.

It certainly couldn't be an official BSA effort, but a private individual with a will and a little know how . . .

jd