Thoughts on a Patrol only Fundraiser

I would like your thoughts regarding the following situation. We are a start up troop with only one patrol of 7 boys. One of the boy's Grandfather owns an Auction Co. and has let the Troop run a concession booth (coffee, hot dogs, ect.) at his auctions. We have worked two auctions since September. After expenses the Troop has made approx. $150 per auction. Our policy is to allocate 50% to the Troop with the remaining 50% going to the Scouts who worked the auction. Here is my question. We are expecting a second Patrol this spring. Is it appropriate to have a fundraiser that "belongs" to one patrol? Is this fair to the new Patrols? It isn't a large money maker but we most likely will bring in about $1,000 over the course of a year.

Thanks

Paul

Under the circumstances you describe it would, IMHO, be appropriate to let all boys in the troop participate in the fund raising opportunity. To do otherwise could create serious divisions within the troop and set off out of control fund raising competitions.

Not only is it a fairness issue, but if you look at the unit money earning application you have to file with your local council, there's no check box on it for "patrol" or "den", only "troop" or "pack". Troops do fund raisers, patrols don't. Troops have committees with treasurers, events/activities chairs, secretaries, etc., patrols don't.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but it seems as if you want to "grandfather" your original patrol as the auction patrol. Well, what's the difference between allowing another patrol to share in that, and allowing a new patrol member in the "auction patrol" to share the opportunity?

My recommendation would be to follow BSA intent and treat fund raisers as troop opportunities.

good luck...

KS