BSA abuse suspects files sought

Caveat: I'm not an attorney.

Libelous statements, according to the Media Law Research Center, must "have been published to at least one other person" and "must also have been made with fault."

As the BSA didn't seek to have these files published, I sincerely doubt a libel case would stick. It had to turn them over in a legal proceeding, and other parties are now seeking to have them made public. It would be a very difficult argument to make that the BSA intentionally disseminated this information.

AM,

Please understand that these files were created in a time before computers, with the intent to prevent folks that do not conform to BSA membership guidelines, or are suspected of not conforming, to become leaders again. The purpose was to protect scouts, and I agree with that. The safety of our kids is paramount. When in doubt....

How could the BSA be liable for Libel if they only released the list due to a court order? WOuld that be liberal or literal?

So, an adult is accused of sexual encounters with minors, is it better for the BSA to allow the person to stay in the organization as they check it out, or is it better to take the person out first and the let them back in if they check out?

yes, the way the BSA does it is without any form of due process, but somehow thats not there issue here.

Abel, and others. Anyone remember McMartin? And while I cannot remember the exact names, there have been at least two other similar cases. All of them eventually were proved to be primarily wrong; but those people's lives were ruined anyway.

Based on the periods these files cover, the scouts were ahead of the curve in their efforts. Granted, the intent did not always work as it was intended, but they made the effort. Yet now they are being held accountable to current laws and abilities. I would hazard a guess that if anyone had the time and resources, they likely could find similar records buried in police records, court houses, and maybe even groups like the YMCA and so on. BSA is perceived as "deep pockets" and not currently PC; so they are the target.

And the media does little to make this a fair evaluation, balancing old ways with the new. They simply hype the hysteria and gloat that the "terrible BSA", those awful people that tried to find a way to protect youth and still try to maintain basic morals were not successful in an era when society would have likely ignored them anyway, or swept it even further under the rug.

No matter what BSA does, they cannot win in the eyes of these individuals.

I have said it before, but let me say it again.

"Common Sense" and "Rational Thinking" have become lost in the miasma of the PC world.