NELSON INTRODUCES RESOLUTION CELEBRATING THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

NELSON INTRODUCES RESOLUTION CELEBRATING THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

http://bennelson.senate.gov/news/details.cfm?id=311932

April 23, 2009 Today, Nebraskas Senator Ben Nelson introduced a resolution in the U.S. Senate which designates February 8, 2010 as Boy Scouts of America Day to celebrate the organizations 100th anniversary.

As an Eagle Scout, I know what an immensely valuable organization the Boy Scouts of America is to both the state of Nebraska and to the country as a whole, said Senator Nelson. Their continued emphasis on civic engagement, self-reliance, and strong character has certainly shaped my life for the better, and it is my hope that the Boy Scouts of America are around for many years to come so that they may teach these same lessons to our future generations.

The Boy Scouts of America was founded on February 8, 1910 by William D. Boyce, Ernest Thompson Seton, and Daniel Carter Beard. Since its founding, more than 110 million Americans have been members of the Boy Scouts of America.

Senator Ben Nelson earned the rank of Eagle Scout on August 23, 1956.

It will be interesting to see how this thing flies. I predict that there will be attempts to amend the resolution to make it more politically correct. We will have to see who proposes amendments and the content of those amendments.

It will be interesting to see how this thing flies. I predict that there will be attempts to amend the resolution to make it more politically correct. We will have to see who proposes amendments and the content of those amendments.

From the short blurb, it appears the intent is to honor BSA's Centennial, but I fear you are right, some will want to politicize it for their own purposes.

That's the reason I posted the announcement here rather than in the general Program folder.