Didnt take him long...

Brent, are you kidding? There would be almost no one left at any college or university! Present company excepted, of course.;)

I saw Slumdog last weekend and very much enjoyed it for its very clever plot and the fact it was filmed entirely by a hand-held camera. I suppose it could be used by some to promote stereotypes or prejudices but since when was ANYTHING really needed to support that kind of thing? I'm not sure the film could have ever been made in any form without quite a bit of feeling of discomfort associated with it and, given that likelihood, I'm ok with the way it turned out.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gern's Axiom #12 : Once a thread reaches 12 pages, no faithfulness to the original topic is required.

Yes, I saw it too last weekend. What really disturbed me was the outsourcing of the production to India. You would think that the American movie industry could have recreated the sets in California, used American actors and crew to film it. Every dollar you spend on these independent foriegn films is just going to fund the terrorists. Otherwise, it was a clever story, a bit violent for my sensitive disposition, but overall a good movie. I can see how people pan it though. It wasn't your typical cookie cutter blockbuster that the American public have grown to expect. You really had to think to enjoy Slumdogs.

BadenP,

Actually, my Scouter career is fairly young, in my 6th year, and just starting my 3rd year in Boy Scouts. But I'm flattered you think I'm a seasoned Scouter.

Spewing hatred? That doesn't sound like much fun to me. No, in our Troop, I ask the boys to fill out a political profile when they join, so I can identify the liberals. Being a Life Member of the Rush Fan Club, I get all his shows on podcasts. On campouts, I take a small set of speakers and my Ipod, and put them outside the tent of the liberal Scouts, right next to their heads. Right after they drift off to sleep, I turn it on and play Rush's shows all night long. A little political osmosis training, if you will. You may laugh, but I've converted three of them in less than a year! I've got one boy who uses ear plugs, so I've got to come up with a new plan for him. Any ideas?

On a serious note, how can I ask God to bless you today? Feel free to PM me, if you like.

OGE, while I agree with the intent of your admonition, I appreciate the dry (sometimes dark) humor that many of us bring with their passionate satire and sarcasm. However, I do recognize that some people don't appreciate it and we should all remember that to reach the largest number of readers we must craft the message accordingly. Anyway, I would never advocate any kind censorship...but, of course, you already knew that, didn't you?

I think I understand Pack, I know that NJCubDad or something like that always said all posts, no matter what was written in them, should reamin as testament to the person who did the post. I tend to agree with the overall philosophy but still, there are some things I have no problems deleting and other things that I want to but dont touch because I am just not sure.

So, I try to be light, although there are those who may disagree, what can I say to change their opinion? Not much.

I do have to say that when a poster said that the democratic party was the Nazi's of the new century, I closed the thread invoking Godwin's law. Which I realize is a mis understanding of Godwins Law but I wonder how many Conservative Forums would close off a thread just because the Nazis and the Democrats were compared to each other as equals?

OGE, I suspect that if you allow Godwin's law to be broken you nevertheless won't have to worry about jack-booted thugs showing up at your home to enforce things.;)

BTW, it was NJCubscouter who said that, I think, and I agree. Sometimes it is good to give ridiculous and ludicrous statements a forum so that all can recognize them for what they are. All of us are, so far at least, free to ignore them - which, I think, is far more punitive to someone who makes those kinds of statements or associations.

It is certainly what I do in the case of the Bald Ego (aka Rush Limbaugh). :)

I used to think that the funniest radio show on the air was the The Phil Hendrie Show, it was hilarious, him talking to his guests and then people calling in. I lost track of his show and then I heard what I thought was a knock off of the Hendrie format, the Michael Savage Show. I initially thought Savage was a darker version of Hendrie, boy was I wrong

Consider in 1770s in the American Colonies:

Conservative = Tory = British Loyalists

Liberal = Whig = Radical Minority Separatist

Ergo; Radical Minority Separatist = American Patriot = Founding Fathers of the United States

This historical tidbit always gives the Limbaugh fans fitsnow back to the show.

>>these forum threads that are usually monopolized by Brent, Gern, and Kahuna spouting their own brand of vile attacks on those who disagree with them, or as I like to think of them the Rush Limbaugh Fan Club

"Consider in 1770s in the American Colonies:

Conservative = Tory = British Loyalists

Liberal = Whig = Radical Minority Separatist

Ergo; Radical Minority Separatist = American Patriot = Founding Fathers of the United States"

This shows little knowledge ot the history of political science. The term liberal means something different today than it did back them. Hence the term classical liberalism . . .

Whos ignorant of American Political history? Thomas Jefferson established the root of the Liberal movement in America. In fact his basic tenants hold true for liberals today.

Here is another one to chew on.

Banning Abortion

Prayer in Schools

Shrinking the Size of Federal Government

Etc.

I cant think of one Conservative agenda item in the past 30 years that the movement has been able to accomplish except win elections. If someone can point any gains I would be grateful.

Jefferson was a proponent of small government and states rights. He loved the use of the militia, wrote the Kentucky Resolution.

In the 18th and 19th century - liberal usually referred to what we today call classical liberalism. They promoted free trade, a small state, etc. to maximize human liberty. With the turn of the 20th century, changing conditions made many think that wealth inequality and the abuse of the poor by the rich stymied their liberty. Hence a more active state was needed, basically switching the term from a small government one, to a big government one.

Not to mention one can be a political liberal like many Founding Fathers. Or a social liberal. Or an economic liberal. And then the term has a different meaning in Europe too.

It is a term with a complicated history. Please check your facts sir.

"Not to mention one can be a political liberal like many Founding Fathers. Or a social liberal. Or an economic liberal. And then the term has a different meaning in Europe too."

Thus making it virtually indistinguishable from a meaningless label - the application of such nebulous terms contributes little to real understanding. On the other hand, the application of such meaningless labels IS useful for alienating participants or ending meaningful discussions. I question whether that really is the intent for discussions where the label is thrown around so...liberally.