Scout badge requirements

in the requirements for the SCOUT rank - it says

"complete an application and health history signed by your parent or guardian."

is the "health history" part of the application itself? or are they asking for the health form that we need for outings and camp - signed by a Dr.?

I think it's ON the application itself - but since I don't have one and can't remember Jon's, I don't know for sure.

We have 5 new boys coming tonite - they just crossed over yesterday. We have a Court of Honor coming up right after spring break, March 31 - and it would be great if they could get their Scout Ranks Badges then - really make them feel part of the troop from the first COH. But our Advancement chair is leaving for vacation over spring break, so we gotta get our order in by next week, before he's out of town.

I do know that all the boys have filled out an application and that someone in the troop has them. We can cover everything else tonite - the SPL is going to have THEM do opening and closing ceremony!

If we can get the parents to sign off on the Youth protection pamphlet, and return it next week, we've got it ALL covered!

YIS

Laura

The relevant health history is on the back of the youth application form. It is actually a Class I medical form that qualifies youth to participate in activities of less than 72 hours duration, or that do not otherwise require the more extensive Class I or Class III forms. You have to be careful to unfold the form before you fill out this portion, otherwise you make unwanted carbon copies of your entries. I believe that this health history is on the part of the form retained by the troop.

Laura:

eisely is correct -- especially the part about unfolding the form!

The health history is retained by the troop. I advise every unit leader (or tour leader) to have all the health forms in hand on every trip. The reason is that it contains parental permission to treat the kid if he's injured on an outing.

There were several times as a DE taking a Scout to the hospital for an injury sustained during a camporee that we had to wait for hours before a parent arrived and gave the hospital permission to treat the kid. If the SM had had the form, we wouldn't have had to wait.

I've heard that police officers can take a kid into custody in emergencies, but have never personally tested that one.

DS

PS -- I applaud the desire to get the kids their Scout badge as soon as possible. Way to go!

DS

I agree with eisely That the form they refer to is on the back of the application and like both my learned colleagues have pointed out, open the applictaion so that you are not writing through the self-carbon.

A word of caution to dsteele, in most states (but not all), even with the health history, a current physical and a parental waiver form, most physicians will not treat a minor without speaking directly to the parent or legal guardian first, unless the minor's life or limb are at risk.

Bob White