The latest Ask Andy

Okay, so I think we are in agreement about what a "religion" is, but not as to what a "religious organization" is.

We have a group nearby named the Community Interfaith Service Committee. It is made up of representatives from many churches, synagogues, mosques and Meetings. I have done work for it. The CISC has counseling, homeless assistance, teen activities, and other things. Is this a "religious organization"?

By comparison, there are many other groups that do alot of the same good works, but have no religious connections, either in support or purpose. NOT "religious organization"?

Closer to home, I support the American Friends Service Committee. They work in Appalachia and other places to rebuild houses and tutor kids and feed the hungry (among other things!). Since it is based on our desire to serve the Lord by serving others, I would think the AFSC is a "religious Organization" but since it does not seek to get people to worship as we do, it is not a "religion". The AFSC is a legally seperate group.

Habitat for Humanity is not religiously based, but I know lots of churches and Meetings that support it. Does that make HfH a "religious organization"?

How we doin'?

Howbout that Maravich?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two questions I never asked as a unit serving leader or as a district/council serving volunteer..."What is your religion?" and "Are you gay or straight?"

Neither of these is actually any of my business. I have neither the right nor the responsibility to verify this information for BSA because I will not be their membership police. When we are looking at CS or BS youth applications, we are looking at young people who are basically following a faith system based upon their parents and their expectations. As those same youth reach their teen years, they are starting to experience the influences of others as well as those family members. Are we then to take the bull by the horns and ask youth who have been with our organization for six or seven years, "Do you you still believe in God?" If the boy says no, do we then tell the boy he can no longer belong? It really is not that cut and dry. Don't make it so, please.

Ev: Right on, brother!

Now, since we ask the Scout to "do my duty to God", to the best of his ability, what exactly is the Scout required to do? We can observe his skill at knot tying, and we can test his knowledge of aviation and award him a Merit Badge in Aviation. We can number the nights he camps out of doors, we can count the miles he hikes and award him ranks thereby.

How to judge his doing of duty?

Does not our organizational "requirement" of a religious duty require us to be a religious organization?

Howbout that Killebrew, uh?

• 2 weeks later...