Back to Switching Parties

I am a registered Independent. I vote for the candidate who more closely resembles my personal value system such as: anti-abortion (just can't see destroying a possible future Scout for ANY reason), and small federal government (struggle is what has always made this country strong). These two examples would lead a person to believe that I lean Republican which is true, but I have voted for Democrats before and will again (though not this presidential cycle).

I think a person would switch parties because they FEEL strongly about a specific subject, politicians included.

It comes down to how honest you FEEL a politician is. Are they telling you what they think you want to hear to get elected, or do they really believe in what they are saying? And then how does that fit in with your personal value system.

Me, I'm a Republican. A traditional Republican, eh? The patriotic, responsible kind that believes in small government, fiscal responsibility, environmental responsibility, Constitutionally protected liberty guaranteed by a balance of powers, support for men and women in uniform that goes beyond lip service and a salute, respect for the opposition party and all that. I also have these silly notions like thinkin' kidnapping, torture, and spyin' on citizens is somethin' that only despots engage in.

Which means I'm not a "modern" Republican.

Sometimes a party changes or loses its way. Stays in power too long and gets fat and stupid. As I hope we all tell the scouts, patriotism and civic responsibility means that each and every time we vote we do our homework on each candidate and issue, and understand what our choice will mean for the bigger picture and da welfare of the whole country.

This year, I reckon that means I need to vote to remove those "modern" Republicans, eh? :p That might make me a Democrat this go-round, but I figure it's the only way I can remain a patriot.

If an official that represents me gets put in the same position, I expect him or her to oppose the party leadership, and to change affiliation if necessary. Better a strong person who adheres to their own principles in office than one of these yes-men toadies who always votes the line of the party leadership.

Beavah

The reason behind a lot of party switching seems to be a desire to vote in primaries. Sometimes people have a favored candidate for their own reasons sometimes it is pure political maneuvering such as Rush Limbaugh's operation chaos. In some areas one party or the other maintains complete dominance so the winner of the primary is unopposed in the general election.

Beavah's course correction technique is spot on.

In the past two presidential elections, I voted libertarian to send notice to the Republicans they have strayed. It didn't work. Looks like the opposition party needs to get the ball for them to wake up and turn the ship.

I'm with Gern & Bevah, I would vote Libertarian if it weren't for their stand on legalizing drugs. In fact, I think that is one issue that keeps people from really taking them seriously. I'm a great believer in the Fair Tax. Bush has failed miserably in a few aspects (ie immigration, budget/expenses, finishing the war); not happy with the loss of manufacturing in America but not so sure either can stop the trends. But other than those, can't complain.... we've been safe! Blame energy problems on both parties. I can't go 'D' because I just can't accept their platform, or a guy that's not even been a full term Senator with a very questionable familial history. His VP nominee is more qualified than he is...

Regardless, this next Prez is going to face some huge issues: the budget and shifting of money from the retiring boomers, medicare, social security, energy, results of immigration... I'm afraid these next four to eight years are going to be very ugly for either guy with some very hard decisions to make. I greatly fear what taxes will be like in another four years.

I'm glad someone mentioned the 'fair tax'. I too think it is a very intriguing idea. There are few things I dislike more than having to waste time wading through a tax return. Just tell me how much I owe and let me write the d*** check.

I haven't read the book, though, so maybe someone can tell me how we do the switch. In my way of thinking, there's just no way to have anything but a clean break from one system to the other. And THAT would be a huge upheaval in our economic system, I think. If something like a transition was attempted it would adulterate the 'fair tax' mechanism during the transition and leave the door open to mischief by politicians. Your thoughts?

Beavah, I can really feel your pain. The Republican party I supported back in the Goldwater days is only alive in the minds of a minority of its current ranks, most of them old enough to remember those days. I invite you to join me in the Caribbean. ;) Anyone else for that matter.

Oops, I posted this on the thread I started on switching parties that turned into a religious debate. Sorry for the double post on two threads.

------------------

I guess I'll answer my own question about changing my party affiliation:

"Obama scares many older Americans because he wants to make drastic changes in our government and these older people want to hold on to the way things are."

What scares me is four more years of the way things are.

Like BadenP posted, I've also made the observation that younger people tend to be more liberal and become more conservative as they get older. For me, when I registered to vote for the first time in 1976, I registered as a democrat. My parents were democrats and I didn't pay much attention to politics outside of the nightly dinner table.

I cast my ballot for Jimmy Carter and moved out on my own. I got a job, paid taxes, bought a house and a car, and entered the adult world. I began to pay more attention to politics, listen to speeches and read the news when elections came around. Wasn't too happy with the Carter years (I naively thought the gas lines were solely his fault), so I decided I was most definitely a republican and voted for Reagan. Only the first time though. Still, I wasn't sure I wanted to align myself with democrats either so I declared myself an independent.

I've never been a fan of George Bush but I wasn't exactly delighted to vote for Al Gore in 2000. Again in 2004 it wasn't so much that I was voting for Kerry, but against George Bush.

This year I am proudly back to declaring myself a democrat. Growing up, as election years rolled around, I remember listening to my parents talk about their candidates with excitement. I've never felt that way in any year I've voted. Sure I supported a candidate, but never with an real sense of excitement. Voting merely to cast a vote AGAINST someone rather than FOR someone was dissatisfying.

Living in South Carolina I know I'm among the minority in my choice this year for President and that my vote will be overcast by republican votes. In essence, I know my vote won't count. This is the first time I've been excited about voting and supporting a candidate. Apart from his political views, which I mostly agree with, Obama has stirred a sense of optimism in me and a restored faith in our future. I hear all the comments that he is just a empty suit that can make lofty speeches. I don't agree with that assessment, but even if I did, I've been so underwhelmed by our choices in leaders for so long that without knowing anything else about him I've been waiting for Obama to run for President since I heard his speech at the convention in 2004.

People look at me incredulously when I tell them I support Obama. You see, I'm one of those middle aged, middle class, white woman that couldn't possibly vote for him. According to the pundits, I either should have supported Clinton because she's a woman or support McCain because only the republicans share my values.

Bring on election day. I can't wait!

Thats the Achilles of the Fair Tax: converting to it. Youll have the baby boomers and retirees getting the short end for a couple years until it starts evening out, which will be a significant adjustment to our society. People stuck in the middle will lose huge amounts of money without an effective transition plan. A major part of our economy is unfortunately built around dealing with the current tax system, every CPA and H&R Block will be suddenly left out in the cold. But to ignore it like the current and past presidents have is only going to exacerbate the problem, just like theyve done on energy but many times worse. The inevitable class and age war is certainly coming, including an immigrant issue that we will havent even seen the impact from yet. I wish I were more optimistic than I am. I truly hope either Obama or McCain is open to the real facts that every economist is screaming about and changes our direction, fast. Their predecessors certainly havent been up for the task. With a one party government, Im not sure to be happy or scared.

I like what I've heard about the fair tax. Talk about overhauling or getting rid of our current tax system has been around for a long time.

No matter what, drastic changes need to be made and someone is going to get hurt. The problem is, no one wants to take the hit. Don't tax rich people, don't tax poor people, don't tax the middle class. Let's just keep spending money without hurting anyone in the wallet.

Other areas for drastic change:

Let's just keep on drilling for oil so we never hurt enough to lose our dependency and get serious about finding and funding alternatives. Let's give folks vouchers to go to private schools and allow the public school system to fade away. Let's stretch our military so thin that we don't have any chance of ever getting out of, much less actually 'winning' wars.

Social security? I see no way we can sustain the program indefinitely. Do away with it altogether? Change it to a safety net for the truly needy by use of means testing? But then, where do you draw the line? A 'rich' person in a small southern community such as mine, would be considered 'poor' in New York City, San Francisco, etc.

GWD, big OOOPS here. I just responded to your post on the other thread. Anyone interested - just go over there and read it.

As far as the fair tax goes, an instant switch to it would be to my benefit. It would protect my assets, be a HUGE cut in my taxes, not to mention the comforting thoughts of IRS out of business, an increase of disposeable income (which I would mostly save), AND it would provide a wonderful spectre of hand-wringing by all those conspicuous consumers out there making decisions on whether or not to buy. One more step closer to the Darwinian ideal. Just lovely.

New York is one of the few states to allow fusion voting. This system allows multiple parties to nominate the same person and combine all the votes. This system gives extra weight to 3rd parties here compared to other states. Usually I vote for the Republican candidate, but on the Conservative or Liberatarian party line, depending on how he is cross-endoresed.