Super-Dooper Delegates

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/14/superdelegates/?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

There's video as well covering this.

Lisa, you're the admitted political scientist as well as the resident declared Democrat in the room. From where I stand, if the popular primary/caucus vote breaks one way, and the "professional politicians" decide the nominee should break the other way, that's political hay for the Republicans.

This is all the more so after "COUNT EVERY VOTE."

Truth be told, it seems to me we have a certain amount of Balkanization in both our American political parties. Might we see fracture at some point towards a multiple parties and alliances as other nations have?

What are yours ... and everyone elses' thoughts?

"Truth be told, it seems to me we have a certain amount of Balkanization in both our American political parties. Might we see fracture at some point towards a multiple parties and alliances as other nations have? "

This might be true ... and it might be a good thing... I'm not certain.

Sign me up for the "Normal People Party".

SA

Might we see fracture at some point towards a multiple parties and alliances as other nations have? "

I don't think we will see this unless we also change the electoral rules, which right now, heavily favor our two party system and make it practically impossible for "third" parties to get a foot in the door. Most of those other countries with lots of parties also use some type of a proportional representation system so a party that gets, say, 20% of the vote nation-wide would get 20% of the seats in the legislature too. Could be fun though. Did you know that for a little while, Russia's national beer party had a couple seats in the legislature? I'm for that...

I'd agree that there would be some pretty irritated Dems out there if the nomination came down to these super delegates. But hey, with the way things have been going this month for Obama, it could be a moot point by August (We'll see what happens in Texas and Ohio in a couple weeks!). And anyway, even though they may have a preference, most Democrats seem ok with either of the two major candidates so after a little grumbling I think they'd get over with haste.

John,

An interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

This has been the first primary that I have been interested in. In Indiana, the primaries are normally so late in the season that the decision has already been made. Some people around here are excited that the candidates may actually campaign here!

I did see that one of the super delegates who had pledged to Hillary has backed away and is now for Obama (saying that his district voted Obama, so he should as well).

Regardless of how it turns out, it will be interesting to watch!

Steve