Thinking of calling Scouting quits...

Hey, Cheer up man!!!

did you guys watchJohnny Tremane in school when you were kids?

I rememebr the burned hand from the spilt silver. THat movie was very powerful. I wanted to kill red coats and fight for Libery!!

Another great movie when you are down in the dumps about this country -- "Mr. Smith goes to Washington."

ALso by Frank Capra and worth watching again and again:

It's A WOnderful Life.

Mr. Deeds Comes to Town.

Meet John Doe

Arsenic and Old LAce

It Happened One Night

If you want some ggod belly laughes, I reccomend The Marx Brothers, especially

Duck Soup.

If you are in the mood to see some really tough chicks with clombiung gear and picks confront a nightmarish scenario check out

THe Descent

Great movies about duty and leadership and militaria.

The Enemy Below

In Harms Way - Awesome Wayne FLick!!!

Patton

The Hunt For Red October

Island in the Sky- Maybe the best Wayne Flick (along with the searchers)- talh about the ultimate winter survival skill Boy Scout movie - this is it!

You want to know how to see our nation in perspective?

HBO's ROME - not for kids or teens- but it is fantastic.

Mel Gibsons the Patriot is very good- It is propagandsitic in its inacurate portrayal of the British acting like Nazi's, but it is very fun. GEts your blood up.

Read David McCullough ADAMs or 1776 or anything by this master.

Master and Commander is also a vvery inspirational movie for a scoutmaster- AS of course is Follow Me Boys.

Sacrifice? Check out Memphis Belle or Gallipoli.

THe GReat Escape

Stalag 17

The Longest Day

Saving Private Ryan

THe Guns of Navarone

You want a little anarchy?

Kelly's HEroes

The DIrty Dozen

You want situational ethics on steroids?

ANy of the Clint Eastwood Spaghettis Westersn- but especially-

A Fist Full of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good The Bad and the Ugly

So cheer up pal. Watch a movie. Dream about what you would have wanted to do in scouts when you were a dreamer kid. And then, as JonLuc Piccard would command -"Make it So!"

P>S> All Star Treks- THe movie Forbidden Planet- and above all- Starship Trooper!!!- Hooyaa!!

Pappy

Ahhh, the spaghetti westerns....

He really did revive that genre with those. A while back I heard an interview on NPR with Eli Wallach about those films. He said they agonized over who to find as a bad guy but when Lee Van Cleef's photo came in they just sent everyone else away. Anyway it was a really fun interview and I had to see them all again afterwards. Still good. I think that Buono, il brutto, il cattivo might be one of the great ones of all time.

One piece of trivia that I had never known was that all three were filmed as silent films. Sound was dubbed in later because of all the road traffic, horns, planes in the background.

But for sheer meanness, I like 'Once upon a time in the West'. Or maybe 'Blue Velvet' (yeah, I know it's not a western but I knew guys just like Frank Booth).

If you want to show the boys an adventure film that will rip their faces off, try 'Mountains of the Moon', the story of the discovery of the origin of the Nile River. That is a fine, fine movie.