Southern California Fires

I hope that all the scouts and scouters from Southern California who frequent this board are safe today. I've had the news on in the background today while working on paperwork, and the situation is so dire there.

Please say a prayer for all those who have lost their homes, their lives, or a loved one. May those who have been evacuated be well cared for, and may they have a home to return to, or may restoration come quickly to those who will return to find they have lost everything.

Thank you for your thoughts from the East. So far, I personally have not been threatened directly, though ash is falling still (less today) and the air is nasty. But, south and east from here, less than 50 miles, is critical. Last year we came really close to losing our scout camp to the Day Fire. It ended up being the staging area for that part of the fire, and helped feed and give resources for the fight, mainly the reservoir. This year, they would be unable to do that, as the drought has taken the reservoir, and we are looking at possibly having no camp at all if the aquafir does not replenish. We will not be able to pump water for camp use.

This time, I fear we may see a number of camps in the Arrowhead and San Diego areas damaged or worse. I have been mulling what, if anything, we could do here as a scouting community should we have the fires move to directly affect us. Hopefully that contngency will not occur.

So, thank you for your concerns, prayers, and good thoughts.

I can only echo the sentiments that DanKroh has posted.

My heart goes out to everyone who lives anywhere near the fires.

I have been very impressed with the way everyone is working through this tragedy.

God Bless everyone out there and God Bless the brave fire-fighters.

Eamonn.