My new pet peeve! Public Transport.

OGE, you can set aside all the hand-wringing about morality and consent, who is attracted to whom, etc. if you consider:

They are going through puberty and therefore fully equipped in every biological way to engage in intercourse.

THEY will decide whether or not to do this. YOU won't.

Their decision will be based on whatever information they have incorporated through formal or informal sources.

If you want to have maximum impact, regardless of belief systems or moral codes, you MUST give them accurate, complete information. Otherwise no one can expect them to make accurate, informed decisions about sexual behavior.

No, this doesn't mean they'll always make good decisions. But it does mean that if they are inclined to make a good decision, they'll have the knowledge they need to make a good decision.

Now, with that in background, if they decide to engage in intercourse, they're going to do it no matter what. And you know you can't stop it. So why restrict their access to means of avoiding disease or pregnancy?

And if they decide NOT to engage in intercourse, then why worry about access anyway? They're not going to do it anyway.

Or do you think you can keep them uninformed AND chaste? Isn't that the self-deception many of us engage in now?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I accept its going to happen (the sex part) and perhaps I am just a little jealous that my school wasnt as progressive. But after telling kids its ok to have sex, then how do we tell them not to have sex with _____________ (fill in the blank) or do we accept that adolescents have the capacity to consent to sex with another regardless of the partners age? If I seem stuck on that, its because I am. Nambla has said for years that sex is a normal expression of love between two people and children enjoy and grow from the experience, If we say we agree its natural for middle school children to have sex, then how do we make their partners illegal based on age?

Nobody's saying "it's ok". No competent health professional is going to dispense birth control without a little counselling to go with it. It's not like they have a basket full of B/C pills in the lobby free for the taking, like M&Ms...