FScouter in the Squirtguns thread writes:

It is unethical to pick and choose which rules we follow, and unethical to teach boys the same.

Yah, I wasn't sure which side of the squirtgun issue F was on, eh? But I'm troubled by da abandon with which F slaps his fellow volunteers with the "unethical" label. I am sorry to put this in a Christian context, but I trust others will add from their traditions.

"On the sabbath... his disciples plucked and ate some heads of grain. And some of the Pharisees said, 'Why are you doing what is not lawful on the sabbath?' ... and again "The scribes and Pharisees watched, to see whether he would heal on the sabbath, so that they might find accusation against him... And he looked around on them all, and said to the man with the whithered hand 'stretch out your hand' and he did so, and his hand was restored. The Pharisees were filled with fury." (Luke 6: 1-11).

or again

"This man receives sinners and eats with them [making himself unclean according to the law]. So he told them this parable: "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the 99 and go after the one he has lost?" (Luke 15:2-3)

or again

"'Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. The law of Moses commands us to stone her.'...he stood up and said to them "let him who is without sin cast the first stone." ... and Jesus said to her, 'Neither do I condemn you.'" (John 8:1-11).

and on and on in the Acts of the Apostles and the Letters of Paul we are told again and again that the just man honors the principle not the rule, in the service of God and His people.

It is far from being unethical to choose how we follow rules and teach children to do the same, for it is the lesson that was taught by him who many of us call Teacher and Lord.

If you come from a religious tradition where duty to God means puttin' lawyer-like compliance over principle, then at least be reverent and respectful of da rest of us and keep your charges of "unethical" to yourself, eh?

A very wise man, who greatly respected Francis of Assisi, once told me,

Grant me the strength to obey the rules which are just, the courage to disobey those which are not, and the wisdom to know the difference."

FScouter declared publicly an ethical position that he presumed applied to all of us in Scouting, to the point of calling other scouters unethical who did not comply with his view.

I declared publically the contrary position.

But you're right, OGE, while addressing the counterpoint to the argument is OK publically, takin' him to task for the unethical comment should have been done in private.

My apologies to FScouter and the group.(This message has been edited by Beavah)