Hunting - What's the attraction?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The attraction is much the same as what draws us to climb mountains, camp, backpack, etc. -- a great love of the outdoors. My family will often report, "The hunting was great. The shooting was poor, but that doesn't matter."

We (my family & those who hunt on our ranch) DO cull...we have over 50 head of deer that live on our place. Our sons are allowed to go for the "trophy" ONCE. After that, they select lesser animals...often does, so it reduces the reproduction rate. (And NO, does do NOT have Bambi's to be feeding at this time of year. They are all weaned by hunting season.)

Wild game is a fantastically healthy food! Low fat & low cholesterol. Personally, I do not like duck or goose, so the nights we eat those, even my calorie intake is down!

The hunters who waste what they "kill" give the majority of the hunters a bad name. Additionally, most states have a "want & waste" law, or something similar. It is ILLEGAL to waste their kill. Turn them in! The hefty fine will usually stop them from this trait.

Truly, subsistence hunting still occurs. There have been times when wild game was ALL that was in our freezer. Also, self-defense (granted-not the same as hunting) is still a good reason to know how to use a gun. And I AM talking about self-defense against wild animals. Some of us live in areas this is a necessary skill...you'd better have some practice before you need to test yourself!

Well, I'll give you my perspective. I am a woman and I LOVE to hunt! I have to say it's in your blood. My Dad hunted and his dad hunted and I'm sure his dad hunted. Both my boys hunt. I hadn't hunted in years probably since I was 15 and I won't tell you how old I am now... but when our youngest son was able to hunt this year I went too! I didn't realize how much I had missed the thrill of the hunt... sorry just had to use it!

There is nothing like it. For those of you who think we sit out there with a high powered rifle and the deer just walk up and say "kill me" you are sorely mistaken. We sat out there for 3 days (monday first day and two saturdays) ALL DAY! COLD! We saw 28 deer the first day and only 6 the next Saturday and ONE the last day! Only one was a buck and it was too far to shoot at!

I did not have any coming up to me saying shoot me please...

Now the boys and my husband go goose hunting, rabbit hunting and squirrel hunting... coyote hunting, duck hunting and I'm sure there is more...

YES we own a beagle. SNOOPY! He's a good dog. He's an outside dog. We do not beat him. We feed him and he is loved! His purpose though is to hunt rabbits. He loves it and the boys love it. I can think of worse things two country boys can be doing then going out in the woods with their guns and dog!

As for the deer population... don't ever worry there is plenty! Our crops show the damage every year!(This message has been edited by mom2scouts)

I have hunted with friends and family.

As long as two things are done.

1. The "game" is hunted fairly with a good sporting chance.

Baiting the animal in close or shooting tame/caged animals is not hunting.

2. Use what you kill.

It is disgusting to see people kill an animal just to kill it, walk away and leave it to rot. Or just take it's head.

Long range scoped rifles, baiting, hunting with dogs, where is the sport in that? What chance did the animal have?

That takes as much skill as shooting a cow in a pasture from the road in your car. Some Mighty Big Hunter.

Where I live I hear gunshots all around the area all year long. During the winter (both in and out of season) my work takes me past numerous remote sites and this weekend, for example, one bridge crossing had 6 fresh deer carcasses (does) and another had 8 dumped at the edge of the stream. I have no idea how many I didn't see that were washed downstream.

I'm not sure how this relates to the topic but I do hate to see wanton waste of wildlife. These kills were not accidental (judging from the bullet wounds) and they were definitely wasted.

I guess I am in sympathy with Captainron's most recent post. Such a waste.