America's Most Precious Resource

America's Most Precious Resource

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=7574

by Eddie Hightower

August 18, 2005 08:47 AM EST

In today's America, we are living in what has been called by many "a throw-away society." And this seems to be verified by the immensity of the waste industry.

But without going to the trouble of doing a massive study of the problem, just take notice of how much trash we have to pile out on the curb each week for the sanitation workers to discard for us. And all of these individual piles contribute to the mountainous land fills of America.

The great tragedy is that America has another problem when it comes to this "throw-away" mentality -- the trashing of the nation's greatest and most precious resource. The utter wasting of America's youth. It is no wonder that many rational newly weds even hesitate to bring into this world offspring who will have to face the terrible challenges of life which were unthinkable in earlier years of America.

America's youth is being attacked from almost every direction. The most obvious and the most disturbing is the criminal element of our morally corrupt society. Daily the headlines scream of the kidnappings, rapes, torturing, and murders of our nation's youth. Many of the recent victims' images have been seered into our mind's eye and their names have become as familiar as those of our neighbors children. And in a very real sense, all of these unfortunate victims are the children of our neighbors; just maybe not our nextdoor neighbors.

And then there is the added tragedy that many of the youth themselves have become criminal in their activities and lives. The children and young men and women have more and more begun to victimize their fellow citizens of youthful ages. So goes the old saying, "Like father, like son," or "like mother, like daughter." So what is the answer? Where is the salvation of American society? Who will offer a way out of this jungle which threatens the very survival of the young people of America?

It surely seems that those politicians who have run on political platforms which were filled with promises of reform have failed. It is well established that the courts of justice in America have turned a blind eye of justice upon our youth. And even in what used to be the very last place that the youth should have been afraid of, the so-called preachers, ministers, and bishops of the nation's churches are now to be viewed with suspicion in order to safeguard our precious children.

All of this started, like most everything starts, in a very small fashion. The homes of America began to change for all of the many reasons which came along with moderniztion. With the many distractions of parents from their duties as role models and disciplinarians of the youth. The social drifts away from individual responsibilities and accountibility for one's actions. The moral drift has reached proportions of a nationwide landslide. And America's youth is being buried under our immorality.

One great source of answers to these problems is the written word which many of us call The Bible. In the 22nd chapter of Proverbs and the 6th verse we read, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Too many parents have failed their children, for whatever reasons and excuses, in their training. Too many parents have left the training to the baby sitters, the child care centers, the public schools, and others who cannot provide the necessary moral and principled training which is necessary. One very troubling reason that many parents cannot train a child in the way that they should go, is that they themselves became lost a long time ago. It is like the blind leading the blind down a long road of moral and spiritual destruction.

And because of this tragic failure of parental guidance, too many of the children upon growing old have departed from the proverbial straight and narrow paths of righteousness; in fact, many never even make it to adulthood because of lives shortened by the pitfalls of unrighteous living. The dangers of addictions of all sorts, of running with the wrong crowds which includes criminal gangs, and the rebellion against all that is good, wholesome, and righteous have led many of America's youth to an early grave.

In addition to the Holy Scriptures, there is another book which is under greater attack every day from those who detest the very thought of moral principles and the rule of authority of a righteous nature. And that is the Handbook of the Boy Scouts of America, which presents the pledge which each member of the Boy Scouts is expected to live up to.

Boy Scout Oath (or Promise):

"On my honor I will do my best: To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law

"To help other people at all times

"To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

The Scout Law is a summary of character issues that scouts pledge to follow. A Scout is:

Trustworthy

Loyal Helpful

Friendly Courteous Kind

Obedient Cheerful

Thrifty Brave

Clean Reverent

If only every young man who was ever an American citizen had been a Boy Scout and every young woman had been a Girl Scout, then our nation today would resemble the Norman Rockwell covers of the Saturday Evening Post Magazine and our nation's most precious resorce -- the youth of Ameirca would have been preserved.

But it is not too late. And our youth is still too precious to irresponsibly ignore.

In addition to the Holy Scriptures, there is another book which is under greater attack every day from those who detest the very thought of moral principles and the rule of authority of a righteous nature. And that is the Handbook of the Boy Scouts of America, which presents the pledge which each member of the Boy Scouts is expected to live up to.

Complete nonsense. In reality, the Boy Scouts and its handbook is under attack from those who have hijacked the Scouting movement to promote their own ideology of exclusion of people they don't like. I'll stack my own "moral principles" up against anybody else's, any day. In large part, they are the ones actually stated in the Scout Oath and Law, and the related ones of respect for my fellow human beings -- not the alleged "values" that have been imported into the Scout Oath and Law from someone else's religious and political beliefs.

IMHO, Eddie H. does more harm than good.

jd

TCV, Nathan Tabor's website???

I'm guessing you think, "Dr. Jerry Falwell dubbed him the "young Jesse Helms.", is a GOOD thing????!!!!????

We're apparently on different sides of the isle . . . if not the planet! ;)(This message has been edited by johndaigler)