Using technology to foster Scouting.

On the front page of the USA Today is an article I found interesting. "Beyond Kiwanis: Internet builds new communities" It outlines how busy professional parents are utilizing email, cell phones, Blackberrys and the Internet to create and keep ties that allows them to participate in all sorts of ties to community organizations. The first several paragraphs highlight the activities of a very busy Cubmaster.

Here is my question. Has Scouting really discovered and used this resource to its benefit? Forums like the one your reading now did not exist ten years ago. Yet here you are "talking" about a topic you are really interested in. Should the Scout Handbook be available on-line? Should every Scout family be provided an email account as part of membership? Should more technology be introduced in Scouting programs to support new ideas (some yet to be developed) of Scoutcraft, Environmentalism and Nature Study. How about a video game of Scouts tackling high adventure challenges at Philmont on their PS2? Will there be video streaming on the Web of any of the Jamboree this year?

What are some of the "New Tech" ideas or programs your unit or council has tried?

You post alot of interesting question, many I doubt if there are solid answers for ... however one of my upcoming projects at InsaneScouter.org is forming the ISWebTeam, which will basically be an open source team to help implment such things that are possible and useful ...

My personal view on this is Scouting does need to take more advantage of technology .. for example ScoutLink.net a place to chat with Scouters and Scouts from around the world and also a great place to go 3rd weekend in October for Jamboree on the Internet (JOTI).

I guess the real intent of my post was to stir up the creative and insightfull feelings of those on this board. I heard one parent say that the Scout program is still stuck in Boar War woodsmanship. (OK someone explain that one to me.) But has Scouting ever taken advantage of the technology offered today?

Last summer at summer camp I was amazed that the counselors and CITs had set up a wireless LAN in the woods of northern Michigan. Cell phones didn't work but they could place a call on VoIP via their laptop from the rifle range. (Using a wireless headset....very sweet) These are the same gentlemen that know the basics in the fieldbook cold but can d/l coordinates from from their GPS handhelds into a Palm and show a topographic map of where you are standing. I dare say that in todays world that may represent a skill worth knowing.

re: Boer War woodsmanship- outdoors techniques used during the South African conflicts that Baden-Powell became a hero during.

That is, things like axe use, firebuilding, cooking over camp fires, many pioneering projects, etc. that today range from being 'quaint' to contrary to current outdoor ethics.

Axe use is an example. First, in many places there are 'no open fires' policies, 'no wood gathering' policies, or no available firewood. Next, it is generally a lot safer and more efficient to cut wood to length with saws and use wedges and mallets (or hand axes and pounding tools) to split it to size.

I think it is pretty cool to know how to do a lot of this stuff... but then again, I still like the idea of a signalling requirement for First Class!

This topic hits me with 2 of my favorite topics... I have 2 degrees in computers but I have also have 4 years of Scoutcraft background at our local Scout camp including 2 years as the Area Director.

I highly believe that much needs to be done to keep the "outdoors" and the associated skills taught in Scouting ... but I also fully believe that much can be done electronically to make Scouting more efficiant for the leaders but also to help teach the Scouts.

I am jumping the gun mentioned both these idea as they are things I have been working on for years amd cant seem to find a way to make them work ...but will use them as examples now anyway ...

1. I would like to see a rope be invented that you can plug into say the USB port of your computer and with some kind of software that will not only teach you how to tie knots but can tell if you tied it corectly... maybe even eventually it could lead into lashing and whipping rope, etc

2. Those of us at InsaneScouter are trying to find a way to develop a cd series ... where each cd is devoted to a merit badge ... each cd will take advantage of multi-meida, animation, charts, text, etc to teach a specfic subject ... kind of like a merit badge phamlet that is digital ... the problems are equipment, actors, people who know how to plan, write, and record such a project ... but also the costant requirment changes too ...

In both cases these are meant as tools to help Scouts not to replace campouts, physical instruction from a local expert, or the onsite hands on approach ...

Technology has enable us to find more information faster than ever before. Scouting web sites, forums like these, etc. are a great value!

All this technology needs to be used wisely. It can't replace a weekend in the woods learning how to build fires & burn water! What it can do is help plan & facilitate that weekend in the woods!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Great questions MMH...I encourage and support any effort to help advance scouting whether it be screaming from the rooftops or IMing on LAN lines or Blackberrys...

You are right and I think you are posting rhetorical questions...the answer is positively "yes" to all with understanding that this is in addition to all of the Boar War stuff (cant learn to use an ax or whittle a stick on a pda). We also need to be sensitive to those without the technological resources. I have one family that is kicking and screaming about all the emails that I send to make sure everyone stays informed. They prefer hard copy and do not have a home PC, so I adapt and oblige for this one family. Otherwise, I will wait with great excitement while insane develops the plug in rope thingy do hickey....

Absolutely! I love the new technology that is available to Scouting these days!

Right at the top of my list is Gore-tex, followed by fiberglass tent poles. Internal frame packs are far superior to the yucca pack, and my Tyvek® rainsuit beats my old poncho, hands down! The water purifiers that are available are superior to Halazone tablets I used long ago and the new hydration systems are so much better than metal canteens.

:)