Morality: Thought Experiment

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe immorality, at it's most basic level, must include intent or, at least, a disregard for the negative consequences of your actions.

Don't agree, jd. Based on that definition, everyone is immoral. What might be negative consequences for one person aren't for another.

Morality is tough to define. For me it is living as a Christian.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, isn't that just slightly incomplete? A couple of questions come to mind. First, if morality is "living as a Christian", then does that mean that living as, say, a Buddhist or Unitarian Universalist is not moral? (In the recent past, I have actually been told exactly this by Baptists and Methodists)

But if your statement DOES allow those other faiths as moral, then isn't morality MORE than living as a Christian?

Neither of the above questions, furthermore, address the arguable probability that different people who claim to be Christians will have different ideas about what it means to live as a Christian. I'm not sure that your personal statement can be transported easily to anyone else.

Ed, apparently, you didn't get my initial point. Your post hammering alcoholics as immoral was so off base as to require a retraction or apology.

Secondly, the immorality of humans is a given Christian concept. It is only through God's grace and the value of the Christ's sacrifice that we can hope to be redeemed. (If I understand what I've been taught all these years)

Third, IMHO, a person can't accidentally be immoral. There has to be an understanding by that individual that they are crossing a line (their own or someone else's) - either truly intending to do damage or hurt others, or ignoring/accepting a high level of risk that their behavior may cause damage or harm. Drinking, then driving, is a prime example of this type of disregard for the harm you might cause - sinking DWI to the level of immorality.

jd

Ed, apparently, you didn't get my initial point. Your post hammering alcoholics as immoral was so off base as to require a retraction or apology.

jd,

I wasn't hammering alcoholics. My point was a background check won't find an alcoholic who has never committed a crime.

packsaddle,

What I posted was "For me .........." For someone else of another faith it might be different.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10