Social & Economic Forces & Their Effect on our Program

Seems that we are now looking at ways to measure the quality of a unit not counting the BSA Quality Unit requirements.

While at times I know people have some sort of sentimental attachment to a unit. I know I have to the 17th. When people get together the very first question is who was your Scoutmaster.

Units have their ups and there downs. I strongly suggest that these ups and downs are regulated by the quality of leadership.

I bet that if there was a unit that had kept accurate records over the last 50 or more years, we could trace the times when there was quality leadership in place and when there was poor leadership in place. If these records contained the minutes of the PLC meetings, we would see that more then lightly the troop had more activities and did more when the leadership was strong. We might see that membership was higher when the leadership was strong. We more then lightly would see no minutes at all when the leadership was really weak.

When I visit a troop I can most of the time tell if the Troop is a quality troop within minutes of walking into the meeting. Sometimes I can tell before I even enter the hall.

Eamonn.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

Not to belabor the point but I think your scouting history is a little off in your reply. Yes BSA was federally chartered in 1916 but scout troops were forming in the USA years before that. The training you talk about took years to put in place and was available only in just a few areas on the east coast. Most councils in the west did not come about until the mid 1920's. Most of these early trainers were scoutmasters who had struggled through WITHOUT formal training and were hand selected for their experience. The early councils were all volunteer commissioners appointed by National, professional scouting came along much later, except for those few at the National office. These facts by the way were given to me by National during my training as a DE.

Scouting changes, as all things change around us and as we change. We should be ever mindful of those changes and return for training on a periodic basis to relearn and to learn, especially, learning one from the other. Quality leadership is developed first from training and then from experience and then from teaching others and then relearning it all over again. Quality units and quality programs generally will have quality leadership but usually none of it all at once. It is possible to provide the support to a program and make it good quality continuously but the leaders must remain in touch with the changes in the Scouting program and be aware of their own tendencies to stray from that program.

I want to review the eight Methods of Scouting, they are: Ideals, Patrols, Outdoors, Advancement, Personal Growth, Adult Association, Leadership Development, and the Uniform. Review these because these are considered the only Methods recognized by the BSA and these are considered as being the only practical ways of achieving the Aims of Scouting (i.e., Building Character, Citizenship, and Developing Fitness, all also known as long-term goals). I want to also note that the eight Methods are difficult to pull apart when discussing them and when used on a regular basis because they become more of a tapestry than individual threads.

Now, can a unit complete all of the ideals to the maximum amount all of the time, instantly and is that unit known as a Quality Unit? The answer is no. The way to understand my answer is from the main characteristic of the Methods themselves. The Methods are known as intermediate goals. The Methods are built upon many short term goals. Lets take Uniforming as an example of an intermediate goal. Scout A can only purchase part of the uniform so Scout A is encouraged to purchase the full uniform over a period of time. What might happen for this to occur? The young man may get a job and learn financial responsibility while purchasing the other part of the uniform. When he purchases it, is he through with Uniforming? No. He is also advancing and his patches must be sewn on correctly. He learns another skill, sewing. He must be involved in Uniform inspections so he learns to wash and iron his uniform. He will become a leader for other Scouts and will show others the way(s) and the reasons for correct Uniforming. (Note: Since Leadership is a learned skill, it also takes time to achieve, just like Uniforming). As a uniformed leader, he will belong to a Patrol and will help impart and be part of the spirit of a group of individuals that dress the same and have common goals. He will become an advertisement for adventure and for the outdoors program. He will become an example of what a Scout is and will be expected to show others what good things can happen when a person identifies with the Scouting movement. This one Method is not expected to happen all at once but slowly over a period of time.

The question may be asked about Scout B who has the full uniform because his parents bought it for him when he decided to join. Is he through with Uniforming? The answer is no. Scout B must still advance on his own. He must learn leadership on his own. He must become part of a Patrol on his own. He must enter the outdoors on his own. (Note: Others may teach him but he still must decide to use these Methods himself.) He will benefit from Uniforming in many different ways. The uniform will become an equalizer for him. He might be in the same Patrol as Scout A and Scout A may teach Scout B some tricks on cleaning and caring for the uniform while on campouts. Scout A may be able to share with Scout B some Scouting skills necessary for him to make it on his own while camping in the woods for a week. Both Scouts will learn Patrol spirit while deciding on the types of adventures together. Both Scouts might become friends, meaning that few other methods would have brought their friendship together. Both Scouts will then become symbols of a world wide movement that has brought out good things in people over many years simply because they identify with each other through the one Method of Uniforming.

Lets take one more Scout. Scout C is in a Troop that has decided that the shirt is enough. The Scouts in his Troop have little money and little access to jobs, so the decision is more practical than one born from embarrassment of the uniform. Is this Troop engaged in the method of Uniforming? The answer can only be no. Harsh answer and terrible person you say? Let me explain. Uniforming is an intermediate goal not a short-term goal. Nobody is saying that the uniform must be purchased upon joining. At the same time, when a unit says that they have made a decision contrary to what the BSA prescribes to be the full uniform, then they have quit on one necessary Method. Tell me, Obe Won, what could they possibly do to make it so? Lets take each solution in order. 1. Make a payment plan and purchase one item at a time over a period of years. 2. What resources are available? Scout C happens to know Scout B that has lots of money and is going to throw his old uniform away. So, recycle uniforms. 3. The District may want to recycle old uniforms. 4. The Council may want to recycle old uniforms. 5. Pool money and purchase one uniform for one Scout at a time. 6. onward and upward, I will leave it up to you to fill in the blanks for the next one thousand ways to obtain uniforms. By the way, Scout C has gotten a scholarship to the Jamboree. Scout A and Scout B will be in his patrol.

Remember, this is a growth process not a short-term goal. If there is a plan in place, can the Troop that Scout C is in now claim Uniforming as a Method that they are doing? Sure.

FB