Bush wants natural gas exploration next to Philmont

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud Eagle wrote something that reminded me of another facet of our energy resources. Most of our electricity is generated in thermal generating stations employing turbines. These conform to Rankine cycle rules rather than the Carnot thermodynamics. Even with multiple regeneration cycles these generally do not exceed about 40% thermal efficiency. Then there are transmission losses, not to mention inefficiencies at the user end. The energy to put 250-300 watts into the boob tube requires about 1000 watts of coal, oil, NG or other sources to be consumed. Combined heat and power promises greater efficiency but there are very few places that have adopted this.

Trail Pounder is close with his dedication to nuclear. It is best suited for electric generation but the radwaste problem is very troublesome.

To me it just doesn't make sense to burn natural gas to heat water to make steam to turn a turbine to turn a generator to make electricity to travel over wires to a house where it heats an element to boil water. Better to just burn the gas in the house and heat the water. Much more efficient. Every such example of inefficiency is a fertile opportunity for improvement and energy savings.

I would like nuclear better if not for the waste conundrum. It is bad enough to leave this huge national debt for our children. The nuclear waste will have to be managed and guarded for thousands of years. I vote for more responsible use of our resources, even if they are abundant now.

i saw those video clips of bush cutting wood and i thought to myself, gee, how easy is it to look like youre working hard, when 1. you can use it as publicity stunt and 2. most americans have never cut wood and wouldnt know the difference between working hard and looking like it if it came up and kicked them. i know this is off topic, but so many people are duped to believe whatever someone else wants them too. i sure know that it would be alot easier for me if i had cameras in my face when my dad and brother and i were out cutting wood for the winter...and im not even president.

Have to agree with Packsaddle. Converting one form of energy to another involves huge waste. That's why the whole idea of hydrogen fuel cells is so absurd. It takes electricty to produce the hydrogen. The idea that hydrogen is "clean energy" is also absurd. The coal-fired electical plant used to create the clean hydrogen is as dirty as they come. I believe that ultimately, and probably not in our lifetimes, we will get our energy from the sun.