Adult Leader Term Limits

Did anyone else get a message that SCOUTER_Terry had replied to this thread? Then I looked and there was nothing there...do, do, do, do, (twilight zone theme).

fishfry, sorry fella but every time I see your moniker I get hungry.

The troop that I am involved with has no real term limits. Most of the Adult leaders have sons or brothers in the troop. The adult leaders that have bothers in the troop are the ones that became Eagle and hit there 18th birthday. (Also they have no interest in the Exploring or Ventures Programs). The long-term veterans of the troop now involved in the District or Council positions.

Did anyone else get a message that SCOUTER_Terry had replied to this thread? Then I looked and there was nothing there...do, do, do, do, (twilight zone theme).

Maybe Hops or OGE thought Terry's post violated the rules of decorum and deleted it.

(That was a joke!)

:)

A lot of our experienced leaders are very involved at the District and Council level as well. We have Two assistant District Commisioners. A Unit Commisioner. Someone from our Unit usually chairs or at least key staffs on the District events. We also provide a large amount of volunteers to our Councils Winter Camp. Which raises another question. How often to you think seasoned Scouters should go back and be retrained in Scoutmaster Fundamentals and Basic.

Sad to say those that need it the most never return. These guys knew everything before they went the first time and were so busy telling everyone that was the case that they didn't hear or listen to anyone.

Some Leaders return every third year others wait for five. A lot of times these guys and Girls will get talked into helping out at a course and become members of the training team.

Doing all this in one hour a week can be tough at times!!

Eamonn

In my short time in the BSA compared to others, I have met many who went to training, decided that what was taught wasn't practical, and then did their own thing. Additionally, these same people tended to discourage others from training.

As for term limits, my understanding is that each year the roster is reviewed and adjusted. As I've recruited leaders personally, I tell them it's one year at a time, with recharter time being the time to make changes. This seems consistent with what others post here.