"beat to death" - euphemism, to discuss ad nauseum

"beaten to death" - past tense of beat to death, has been discussed repeatedly in the past and no progress has been made, nothing accomplished

"beatened to death" - really, really past tense of beat to death, has been discussed so much grammar is thrown out the window!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man nothing like a lobotomy to help you feel better!

Now back to the topic - rules. Don't we all require our Scout to wear uniforms? Maybe not all the time & some of us use Troop shirts now and then. Someone correct me if I am wrong but oening a uniform isn't even required to be a member of the BSA. So aren't we all imposing a rule that is not mentioned anywhere?

Hello???? Man the voices are back!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

The boys (and adults) almost always ask me if they "have to" wear their uniforms to (pick one), the PLC, Scouting for Food, at Camp-o-rees, etc. My standard answer is "It is a Scouting function and as Scouts, we should wear our uniform and I will be wearing mine." Then they sometimes ask, "But do I have to wear my uniform?" My answer then is, "No. The BSA does not require us to wear our uniforms for any particular event." Some then decide to wear their field uniform, some their activity uniform (few) and some their "civies" (fewer still).

My idea of a rule is that if not followed it has readily identifiable and consistent consequences. For example, we encourage the boys to wear their uniform when traveling to and from an outing. However, I don't call it a rule because if the Scouts do not, we still allow participation and don't inflict any type of punishment. A gray area would be the uniform rule the Troop Committee has for BORs. Some BOR members will politely tell a Scout who is not if their field uniform to come back at a later date when they are uniformed properly (all in the troop can afford and own a field uniform). So, I guess it is a rule if that particular committee member is on the BOR. However, I have seen Scouts pass the BOR (that CM member not being present) missing a neckerchief or without his official Scout pants. C'est la vie.

Some troops may impose a rule to wear their field uniform or they may not participate in an activity or event. That would be a rule and it would be (IMO) a violation of BSA policy.

" I was an "avowed" heterosexual while still a virgin. "

Not too difficult to be since you were still behaving in a heterosexual fashion. You were checking out cuties with toughts of doing things with them or to them. That's a heterosexual activity. You weren't an "avowed" heterosexual, you were an avowed heterosexual.

On the flip side of the coin, the young man who looks at the captain of the football team in his spandex pants and thinks, "Yummy!" is engaging in a form of heterosexual behavior. When he says, "I am a homosexual", he is an avowed homosexual even if he hasn't done the nasty deed itself.

". And then it turned into a "debate" about how FOG misinterpreted what Acco said."

I didn't misinterpret what Acco said. I believe that Acco misused "avowed" and avowed.

James Dale was an avowed homosexual when he said, "I like boys." It doesn't matter where his parts had been. He commited a homosexual act when he looked at a man and felt the stirrings of arousal. And why would he say that he was a homosexual if he wasn't?

Acco40,

Thanks for so tactfully pointing out my typo. Im not sure what I was thinking, but I stand corrected. In the future, I'll try to show you the same courtesy. ;-)

NJ,

Does my appeal to "move on" really strike that big of a nerve? Apparently so. I wonder why. But, thanks for pointing out my legal options. I hope you dont intend on billing me for your professional opinion.

FOG says:

James Dale was an avowed homosexual when he said, "I like boys."

And when was that, exactly, FOG? Or more to the point, where in any of the thousands of words that have been written about the facts of that case, does it say that he ever said it? Except for you making it up, I mean.

Rooster, using a time-honored debating tactic, says:

Does my appeal to "move on" really strike that big of a nerve? Apparently so. I wonder why.

Actually it's just a minor annoyance. And if readers would like to evaluate which of us has had his nerves struck, I would point out that I am not the one who started his post with the word "Aargh!"

This is sort of a delayed response, I just didn't want anyone to think I missed anything. (Following Acco's lead, I should state that that was partially in jest and partially sarcastic.)

FOG says:

On the flip side of the coin, the young man who looks at the captain of the football team in his spandex pants and thinks, "Yummy!" is engaging in a form of heterosexual behavior. When he says, "I am a homosexual", he is an avowed homosexual even if he hasn't done the nasty deed itself.

I had to read that first sentence a couple of times to see if I was missing something. You meant a form of homosexual behavior, right? Not heterosexual. At first I thought maybe this football team captain is female, but then I saw it says "his" spandex pants. I'm not picking on you for making a typo, even though I am perfect in that regard (ha ha), I just want to make sure I understand what you wrote.

As for your second sentence, I think you are proving Acco's point -- his actual point, not the point you think he was making. If someone says that -- not just to himself, but so that other people can hear it -- then yes, he is an "avowed homosexual" regardless of what his conduct has or hasn't been. As I said before, the actual conduct itself is beside the point. The policy is about what a person has expressed about their orientation.

As for your other question, why would someone say they were gay if they weren't, the answer is, they probably wouldn't. In fact, up until about 30 years ago or so, almost all gays pretended to be straight, and many still do.

Speaking of typos, let's try this again.

This is sort of a delayed response, I just didn't want anyone to think I missed anything. (Following Acco's lead, I should state that that was partially in jest and partially sarcastic.)

FOG says:

I had to read that first sentence a couple of times to see if I was missing something. You meant a form of homosexual behavior, right? Not heterosexual. At first I thought maybe this football team captain is female, but then I saw it says "his" spandex pants. I'm not picking on you for making a typo, even though I am perfect in that regard (ha ha), I just want to make sure I understand what you wrote.

As for your second sentence, I think you are proving Acco's point -- his actual point, not the point you think he was making. If someone says that -- not just to himself, but so that other people can hear it -- then yes, he is an "avowed homosexual" regardless of what his conduct has or hasn't been. As I said before, the actual conduct itself is beside the point. The policy is about what a person has expressed about their orientation.

As for your other question, why would someone say they were gay if they weren't, the answer is, they probably wouldn't. In fact, up until about 30 years ago or so, almost all gays pretended to be straight, and many still do.