Scout threatened by Adult Leader

An altercation arose between one of our scouts and an ex-scout. The ex-scout's mother is our COR. She physically threatened the scout. The incident has already been reported to Council and the CO and the decision has been made to replace the COR and the proper paperwork is being filed. What I would like to know is what would happen if he ex-COR tried to take a leader position at another Pack? Would this person be banned from BSA?

Thanks

I don't think we have enough information to even begin to run amok with this one.

What sort of threat was it. Did she say, "Sit down or I'll tie you into your chair"? Was it, "Call me a ho again and I'll slap your filthy mouth"? "Interrupt me again and I'll duct tape your mouth shut"?

One of the hardest parts of reporting child abuse by an adult to the council executive (properly titled executive staff) is that there is no reporting back to the person who filed the report.

This is necessary for confidentialiaty and I make no apology for it. You have done your duty, now it is time for others to take over.

I wish I could offer you more information, but that's the way this ball rolls out.

DS

More of the story...

I had five scouts with me selling popcorn in my neighborhood. Two brothers who are ex-scouts and sons of the COR began taunting two of the scouts as they went to one of the houses. The boys followed the scouts up the driveway. At this point an altercation occurred between on of the scouts and one of the ex-scouts. They were out of my view but there was one witness that stated the ex-scout was poking the scout and the scout punched the other boy. I've known this scout for two years and he is very timid and shy. I could believe that he pushed the boy but not punch him. The ex-scouts on the otherhand are known trouble makers at school. Their mother has a reputation for handling problems that her sons get into by calling the parents directly. She would rather not involve the school since the principal has found against her sons too many times. The parents of the ex-scouts came down to address the issue. They had words with myself and the scout's parents. The mother (and COR) then turned to the scout and said, "What I want to do to you right now would get me thrown in jail. If I were an eight year old girl I would kick your butt!". All of this took place in front of the other scouts.

As I mentioned before, she is being replaced as COR. I'm not sure when this will be mentioned to her. For the past five months she has been COR in name only. I had to get our Adult Ldr Apps signed by the Charter Head. She also reported the incident to Council and made them aware that as COR she would see to it that I would no longer be CC and my family would be kicked out of scouts. There is very little she can do about it at this point. She has exhausted her options thru the school, BSA and the police (she called the police in on the incident BTW). I'm afraid that if she doesn't know that she's no longer COR, she may show up tonight at our Den meetings and make a scene. If so, I'll be prepared to handle her in a most scoutlike manner. (I'll have to work on my knot tying... j/k).

"What I want to do to you right now would get me thrown in jail. If I were an eight year old girl I would kick your butt!".

Inappropriate - yes. Over the top - yes. A threat - ??? Since she's not an eight year-old girl, I don't think we can call this a threat. It sounds more like a frustrated adult who's trying to communicate her anger, but not a threat. If the boy said, "If I was a 40 year-old woman, I'd kick your butt!" - would we call that an actual threat?

If she said, "If I see you again" or "If you ever do this again" or "If you mess up again", then I would say yes - this was a threat. But I don't think there's very much chance that she's going to turn into an eight year-old girl.

Having said the above, I do think her response was emotional and gives cause for alarm. But as others have mentioned (even with your follow up story), there's not enough here for anyone to talk specifics.

Thanks to all for your responses. I just received word that the mother called the CO and resigned as COR. Not that she really needed to.

This woman has a history of doing things like this in scouts and at school. I was concerned that if she decided to get involved with another Pack that they would have the same problems. I spoke with someone from our District and they assured me that her name is now known to Council for what it's worth.

I know that what she said to the scout isn't really a threat. But to an eight year old boy this is as threatening as it gets.

BTW.. she may not be able to turn into an eight year old girl, but she can sure act like one.

krewser,

I hear, understand, and agree with your sentiments. I am familiar with the type. I'm just a little sensitive to accusations. I've been around the block too many times to trust anything at face value...

Any way, hopefully you've heard the last of her.

Rooster7,

It's hard to make a judgement when you only hear one side of the story. I understand. My main concern was that she would show up tonight in COR mode, assuming that she didn't know she wasn't COR anymore, and cause a scene. I don't have to worry any longer. I've been told that she has resigned as COR.

Thanks to all