Membership removal

Since it was the parents who signed the membership application it would seem appropriate to inform them.

Is the Chartering Organization required to include the parents in the decision making? That would be preferred but it is not required. The Chartering Organization is required to notify the Council Scout Executive of such action.

It would be logical and ethical to "investigate" allegations on a scout prior to removing him from membership, but let's say he is removed without the benefit of an investigation, by allegation only.

If/when he later re-enrolls in the same troop or another troop, his membership is accepted and he begins to earn merit badges. Time passes, let's say at least 2 years, and the scout is enrolled in a different troop where he earns his Eagle award. The original accusing person hears of this and contacts the national office bringing up the original uninvestigated allegations.

Could the scout be subject for recinding of the Eagle award, based on allegations that were never investigated?

Would one phone call to the National office be enough to recind the Eagle, without investigation? (even though the parents can prove the allegations false.)

Should a scoutmaster respond to a phone call request to return the Eagle, without explanation of why?

What documentation should a scoutmaster request/require before returning an Eagle Award?

Should the Scoutmaster become the investigating agent?

What happens when national refuses to inform the scoutmaster of the details or reasons why the Eagle should be returned?

The Scoutmaster never had the authority to take the Eagle away. Once the National Board of Review has approved it, only the they can rescind it. If the Scoutmaster has taken a Scout's Eagle Award he is way out of bounds and should return it immediately.

The Eagle Award is the property an emblem of the BSA not the local troop. The Scoutmaster was wrong to act as he did irregardless of why he did it.

The rank stands until National says otherwise. A lawsuit against the scoutmaster will be costly and he will lose.

Have the Eagle returned to the scout.

Bob White

In an ideal world, the parents would be informed as to problems with their son in the troop, meetings could/should be held and if the membership were revoked it would be through due process.

This however doesn't happen as often as it should (see my postings under revocation of membership).

If the troop revoked the boy's membership in that troop, it causes a chain reaction up and down the scout hierarchy. It generally prevents the boy from ever registering with another troop (particularly if his previous troop initiates a revocation of membership at the district/council level) anywhere.

When a membership is revoked, more often than not, the first time a parent hears about it is when they get a letter from the Scout Executive informing them of such an action. The Scout Executive does not have to have proof, allegations against an adult or child by anyone (another parent, child, scout leader) are sufficient to have their membership revoked.

Even if you can prove the allegations to be false, it is very difficult or impossible to have a membership reinstated.

removing a scout or an adult from a unit and removing them from the BSA are two different things. One requires action by the local Council Scout Executive or the national office and the other does not.

Being removed from a unit does not require you to be removed from scouting, and it does not keep you from registering in another unit. Only if the national ofice removes your eligibility to be a member are you barred from the program.

Bob White

There is a difference between being "dropped" by a troop (failure to recharter, non-attendence, etc) and "removed" on the basis of allegations, behaviour or safety issues, etc.

I have been in discussions with parents whose son only turns up (or they do) to recharter for another year and yet do nothing, do not attend activities, or anything for the remainder. That is a troop issue in regards to dropping a scout. There may be issues that prevent a scout from participating (school work, doesn't fit with the troop, meeting nights don't work, or he just doesn't care). This doesn't prevent him from enrolling with another troop.

Removing a scout from a troop involves a whole other process, including involving the committee, the Charter Rep (sometimes the institutional head gets dragged in), and the scout executive. Unless there is a clear chain of events leading up to the removal of membership (that is apparent to everyone), the first time most parents find out about it is when they get a letter from the scout executive. I don't know any Troop Committee that is going to put forward a letter to parents, revoking their son's membership on the basis of allegations. That task is laid at the feet of the Scout Executive. It is this process that will cause the boy or the adult to be barred from scouting for life (including stepping onto any scout property).

Kasane is correct. Craneeace -- I received your private message and will answer in the same way tomorrow. I came home sick today, or I would have answered it this morning.

I have many of the same questions Kasane has -- was the boy removed from membership in the BSA or simply dropped from the troop?

I can also tell you that when allegations are made in the BSA, there is no investigation -- especially by the Scoutmaster. That is not the unit leader's job. The BSA firmly believes that if it is to make an error, it will make the error on the side of the victim. The worst it can do is pull membership in the BSA (definately not a life-threatening deed) and it leaves investigation up to law enforcement authorities and child welfare social workers. The accused may appeal and the process is outlined in the letter received from the Scout Executive.

It's harsh, I know, but defense of children is a priority.

DS