Has anyone noticed?

I was just watching the Discovery Wings channel on TV and ran to the computer to post this. The show was about commercially built aircraft that was pressed into military service during WWII. Lo and behold, what did I see? An airliner turned into a transport plane with a backwards flag on the right side of the plane so it appeared to be flapping in the breeze while moving forward. The clip was from around 1940. Evidently the backwards flag has been around even longer than some in this thread thought it had been.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe some of us forget this simple fact. The US Army and the BSA do not wear a flag on their uniform. The USAF does not have flags on their aircraft. What these organizations have are representations or symbols of the flag (patches, decals, paintings, etc.). Just like the flag is a symbol of our country (and NOT the country), the optional patch that many of us in the BSA wear on our shoulder is a symbol of the flag (and NOT a flag). This is not just a symantics issue. Because it is not a flag, it does not come under the flag codes of the US.