scoutldr,

To become a Venturing scout you must be at least 14-years-old, and meet the same religious and moral obligations as any member of the traditional programs of scouting. Yes, a CO may add to the joining requirements set by the national office of the BSA, but they may not subtract from them.

At age 21 a youth member opf the Venturing program ages-out just as an 18-year-old Boy Scout ages-out. No one kicks them out, their tenure in the program ends. The CO may choose to select this person as an adult leader but is not required to.

NWScouter,

Unless the father is a registered scout the CO, or BSA would have no authority over his future. If he were a member I would expect a CO and the BSA to be as concerned about their continued membership as they would with a female member.

I am not aware of any instructions from the BSA to treat them differently.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMOHO.

We are here to serve the youth.

(The Youth in a crew, are crew members, till the age of 21.)

While a Chartered Organization,does have the "Last word" In most cases. And I respect that your chartered organization has made it clear what their view is, and what they want done.

However,just as we would welcome back to any unit a youth who had made a mistake or fallen in with the wrong crowd. As long as they were willing to stop making the mistake, or stop doing whatever it is that is wrong.

I would think, that we would welcome this young person back.

Scouting is not just for good kids, and just joining the program does not automatically make that person better. As adults we are there to help fulfill the mission of the BSA.

Looking over some of the things that BP,wrote I think that he was aware of this.

Eamonn,

Thank you. You reminded me of why I do this. :-) I was so focused on this young lady being a leader. That I never fully considered if being a youth member is where she really needed to be. We can still give her proper guidance as a youth member. This is an area that was not explored because of the perception that it would've caused.

Although, I agree with most here that having the young lady as a leader does send the wrong message to the other youth members.

I'll bring it up to my unit committee.

- - - - -

Now, I guess most of you have been wondering where the father-to-be has been during all this.

Well, I can't say much about the young man. No, he is not a member of my unit or any BSA unit. I have never met him, yet. This is a Small Island. He's bound to cross my path one of these days. All I know is that their engaged and the wedding is supposed to be 2-3 months after the baby is born.

Thanks everyone,

Matua