Choosing a Scoutmaster

The Scoutmaster from the troop resigned, without giving any notice. He is a great guy, just not a good Scoutmaster, biggest problem was delegation and communication.

It was announced that if anyone was interested, tell the committee formed to pick a new Scoutmaster, the committee is composed of 5 previous Scoutmasters and the Committee chair.

Now the committee is asking for a written letter if you are interested in being the Scoutmaster.

There are 83 registered leaders in the troop, 13 active ASM, 10 active Committee member, and 10 that are active with the district.

Does this not seem like overkill, for a non-paying, volunteer job?

With all that lot,I can see how communication might be a problem.

From the list of past Scoutmasters, it also seems that it isn't a life long commitment.

We have one troop in the district, that has a list of everyone that ever was as their charter.Sad to say looking at the old charter and the new one this troop lost 23 Scouts last year.

While I have never heard of applying in writing for being the selected one. I think that with so many people involved it will save anyone from saying "They never asked me !!"

I do hope that your chartered partner makes a good and wise choice.

I've seen the interview for scoutmaster process before. I'll warn you that it can become ugly. This type of thing hit the newspaper in a small community within the district I served while a DE.

There is nothing that says you can interview for the position of Scoutmaster. There's nothing that says you can't. There's nothing that says you should. You can look for resources, but you won't find them.

The selection is up to the approval of your chartered partner. Since you indicate that you have many other adult leaders, I don't blame you a bit for the interviews. It may even be a good idea.

I'll just chime in my two cents -- that it is best to assemble the best minds you can and make a prioritized list of who to recruit as Scoutmaster. Then go out and ask them. Spare people from interviewing for a volunteer position. Who wants to do that? Besides, the candidate selected will probably do a better job and be more honored than the one who is "hired."

Just a thought. Not a policy.

DS

I'll second "dsteele's" suggestion. It's the best way to go, for all. Get your committee to put together that list of potential candidates, and start at the top. Call the candidate and make an appointment for a couple of committee members to go and visit with him for the purpose of inviting him/her to be the new SM. Don't overwhlem the candidiate, only go visit with 2 or maybe 3 folks. The face to face thing is powerful. It's powerful in that it's personal and it sends the message that..."You are the person we think best suited for the challenge. And we'd really like to see you take the job." It's also powerful because it's easier to say no to a letter or a phone call. And like DS said, the candidate will likely look upon the invitation as an honor.

Unless he knows all too well what he's gettin' into...one hour a week.

Doesn't the adult application say the scoutmaster has to be approved by the COR? I could be wrong, I can't find a blank application around the house. Even if it doesn't, I like the idea of interviewing. I had to submit a resume one time to the minister of the church that sponsored our troop and then interview with him. He had been involved in scouting as a youth and wanted to insure the new scout master would serve as an example of the Scout Law. I had no problem interviewing, even though I was the only candidate for the position. It set the minister's mind at ease and let me know the charter organization strongly supported the scouting program.

Thanks for the feedback.

To clarify a few points.

We have a phantom CO, every year when the COR has to sign the recharter, he says we are not your CO are we? And to complicate it even more, the CO is a government organization.

The committe says SM is a 3-year term.

The committee that the committee chairman put together to pick a SM, gives me some hesitation. They still talk about campouts with 12 scouts and 2 leaders. We average 45 scouts on a campout and at least 12 adults (not all leaders, at least 4 that are 1st year adults, not signed up to be a leader, yet).

As you can imagaine with this many leaders around not everyone is on the same page.

One issue that came up at the last campout is adults are allowed to bring soda pop to the campouts but the scouts are not allowed to, I have a BIG issue with double standards, the leaders that say its okay, say we are adults we can do it, they have not earned it. Your thoughts on this,please.

83 registered leaders and by your count and others 12 scouts (old) and now 45 scouts on average? Something doesn't smell right. Your troop must have very many "inactive" registered leaders.

Dan,

A few rambling thoughts:

12 boys and 2 adults sound like a perfect group size for a campout - a Patrol campout. With a group your size, Patrol campouts should be the norm, not the exception.

Three year term for Scoutmaster? I've only been involved with one Scoutmaster, who has been with the Troop for 11 years, and looks to be here at least another 11. It sure works for us, but I guess that might depend on having the right guy. But I sure wouldn't want my sons adjusting to a new guy every few years.

The soda pop issue is interesting. I see both sides. In our Troop, if this ever was an issue, the PLC would decide. A representive of our Geezer Patrol would make a case for why there is value in allowing it (volunteers giving up a weekend for the boys benefit would be one legitimate reason), and anyone opposed would speak to why it wasn't a good idea (bad example, not fair, etc.), an the PLC would vote on it. We would abide by the decision. An this is a great reinforcemet for boy run - They decide, adults live by the decision. And it's reletively easy. Even I could go a weekend, or a full week, without a Pepsi.

Your interview process doesn't sound too obtrusive to me. The Scoutmaster has a vital role in a Troop - Teach young men to not only be leaders, but to be leaders of leaders. Somehow, the people making the decision have to know that they have chosen someone who can do this, and not run the Troop. With as many options as you have, with your size, the posibility of choosing the wrong one increases. The effort your committee is willing to take has to, by nature, decrease the risk of a bad "hire".

Good luck to you and your boys!

Mark

I see the value in an interview process. What I question is the selection process. The troop isn't getting the person it wants, it is getting the person that wants them. It may be a fine line but it is an important one. The person who may be the best possible scoutmaster could get past over because you asked "who wants the job" rather than going to the best candidate available and saying "we admire you for having these special traits and we would like you to to fill a special role in the lives of our children."

Because when you get right down to it that is what being a good Scoutmaster is all about. A unique and special opportunity to change young people for the better. To create a legacy of character that you will be remembered for, for the rest of their lives. To me that is such a vital task that it deserves to go to someone we choose, rather than someone who chooses us.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I agree with Bob White. I was asked by the committee and the Chartered Organization to be Scoutmaster, and have been honored ever since. On the issue of soda for adults at campouts, I have always told the scouts, I will not have them do anything I wouldn't do myself, ie.(Polar Bears, Climbing, repelling, backpacking all your gear in, cooking, and anything program oriented.

Dancin

Thank you again for the feedback.

This is not my idea, I am an ASM in the troop.

I just thought the best way was to decide who would be the best and ask them, and not interview whoever wants it.

I have the feeling that the Committe will just put in someone they can control.

Dan, maybe I misunderstood your initial post, but all you said they were doing was asking those with an interest to put their name in the hat. Nothing precludes them from following any of the very good advice which has been offered as to the actual selection of a new SM. But considering the huge number of adult volunteers, asking for a show of hands of those interested in the job sounds like a good PR move to me. It could prevent hard feelings from some who feel they were never considered.

The written letter, just does not feel like a good thing to me.

Most of the advice was to pick out the leader you wanted and ask them, does not fit with throwing you name in the hat.

I am afraid that this could cause fiction in the troop.

But time will tell.

I want so much to agree with Bob, because on an intellectual level, he is absolutely right. And there are plenty of examples of the scenerio he describes working beautifully, like dancinfox.

But I think in reality, many times if we approach someone to do an on-going job that takes as much commitment as Scoutmaster, a well meaning person may say yes when they really don't want the job, and end up doing a poor job after an initial great effort. What Bob describes, I have seen work famously for Popcorn Kernel and Fundraiser coordinator. But before I would approach someone for the kind of commitment SM is, I'd want to know he wanted the job first.

Mark

I would be a little hesitant about interview a large number of candidates, as there may be some hurt feelings from those "rejected". I had a similar situation a number of years ago when I had a "pseudo-interview" for a Jamboree leadership position. The interviews were really window dressing because the leaders were already pre-selected by those in charge. A few other leaders and I were rejected and were extremely upset and hurt. One actually left the program. I got over it after a while and was subsequently picked four years later. I understand we have to be adult about this, but it still can be unnerving to be told you are not wanted. Good luck!