Freedom of Information Act

Does the Freedom of Information Act apply to the Boy Scouts of America? I know it isn't a department of the Federal Government, but it is chartered by them.

If it does apply, how does one go about filing an application to obtain information?

I see no reason why the FOIA would apply to the BSA. As you say, it is not a governmental agency. It is a corporation, though with a charter granted by the U.S. Congress, rather than a charter from a state government as most corporations have. (Local BSA councils, to my knowledge, would be state-chartered not-for-profit corporations, and they also hold a "charter" from the BSA, though the word "charter" is being use to mean 2 different things here.)

FOIA applies to the executive branch of the US government. The only way it might apply to BSA is where BSA, or some branch of BSA, had dealings with the government. For example, documents in the Department of the Army dealing with the jamborees at Army facilities would be subject to FOIA, but only those documents in the possession of the government would be subject to FOIA. Documents internal to BSA concerning such matters would not be subject to FOIA.