Good post Dan. My post was more of shifting adult perspective, but there are two important points to older scout programs. First, the adults in a boy run program have to grow with the program as much as the boys. We adults have to learn to push our limitations so that our fears or ambitions dont limit the scouts growth. Small example is do you trust your SPL to run a productive PLC meeting without any adults attending. If not, then the adults need to develop the program that direction. I look at all parts of our program and evaluate whether or not I have to be there just so they can accomplish their task. My objective was to have a troop of scouts that never needed adults around to get the job done, including camping. If adults don't grow in trust, the program will be limit the scouts growth.

So how does that work with older scouts, well adults tend to look at a program where the eleven years olds are equal to the sixteen years olds. We know that's not true because they have vast amounts of experience, training and maturity, but adults seem to think in the one plane. Instead of visualizing your ideal older scout, Start treating the older scouts with the respect that matches their maturity and experience. I know of adults at Philmont with no backpacking experience who feel the can order scouts with lots of backpacking experience around because they are, well they are adults and the scouts are just boys. Start allowing your scouts to be adults, give them adult responsibilities. Make an older scout the adviser to Grubmasters and cheermasters. Have them take on the paperwork responsibilities of advancement. When you take them on a campout, don't make them lead or teach the younger scouts because they are the older scouts, ask them to take the responsibility because they are the best at it. There is a difference. I have not taught a single scout how to build a fire, tie a knot or even cook in the last several years because there are plenty of older scouts who are better at it than me. In fact, there is only one advantage adults have over a 17 year old mature experienced scout, Lifes Experiences. That's it, experience of life. And to a seventeen-year-old, that is toughest part of his life. A whole lot of ideas, but no experience, and no place to try them.

I know this sounds very simplistic, but I found that adults have a hard time giving up their jobs and there know it all attitudes. But, if you can humble yourself enough, to maybe teach a scout to help with the scout bank accounts, advancement records or even Scoutmastering, you are pushing the boundaries of your trust and giving boys opportunities they can't get anywhere else. They will remember your mentoring for a long time. And, you will enjoy working with these young adults because they have so many great ideas. Oh I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Yes, the adults could probably put together a better program if they did it themselves. However, the Scouts need to learn how to put together a program. One thing that the Scouts need to realize is that things won't always be perfect and that at times the program may not be as "fun" as they want because it is a learning experience. Some guidance helps, but you have to be careful not to let the kids use the adults as a "crutch" so they don't have to put in effort. Adults can have input, but be careful about them taking over.

As far as a "junk" campout, my troop used to do something they called the "relaxation" campout. Basically, they'd set up camp and lay around and do nothing all weekend. The older Scouts loved it. They go up when they wanted, ate when they felt like it, went to bed when they wanted, etc. The younger kids got bored very quickly. My attitude is this: If they just want to lay around and eat junk food and play with their Gameboys, they can stay home. I do believe that you should schedule some "free" or "rest" time on Saturday so the kids can relax or goof around. However, we only do one outdoor activity a month. Make it worthwhile.

Our "junk" weekend just about every year is a day at Knoebls Groce in Ely PA. The kids spend a day in a nice little theme park with all attractions "free" due to its being "scout day" and they have a colored wirst band. The kids love it because they dont have to do much. Of course, quite a few pass cooking requirements and others will identify plants and a few go off in search of animal signs. Shhh dont tell them they are 'working"

It is a very difficulty transition to move from an Adult run and lead to a boy lead and conducted. It takes a long time for the boys to trust that what they want really matters, and that they will be taken seriously. Often times they'll test the authority we say we give them, to see if we are sincere in giving up a portion of control.

This could be a great opportunity to get closer to the boys to coach and mentor them. When they arent performing dont revert to adult lead, or threaten to take the authority away from the boys, remember they are expecting that sooner or later theyll lose it anyway, they are testing, take this opportunity to sit with them council them and develop leaders.

This stage you are at is part of the process, it is one of the stages of team building. Once they believe that they have a say in the matter they will feel invested in the program and it will start to matter to them.

Anyway... just my two cents.