A very interesting and enlightening thread (some of the chest beating aside :)). This started about the time I joined the board and I must have missed it the first time around.

I like to think that at some point, BSA recognizes that situations will arise in which common sense and good judgement may trump the rules -- even bold-type policy. If you are ever really faced with one of these far-fetched scenarios, all that can be asked of a leader is to give due consideration to the rules and then apply common sense and good judgement. I hope no one will fault you for that. I only trust that the stuffed shirts from legal in Irving see things that way. Our training should teach us how to apply the rules, not their rote memorization. Analyze, adapt, overcome... I'm certain I read that somewhere.

I think it was KoreaScouter, way back when, who said that before deciding to violate one of the bold-type policies, you should know that it could cost you your Scouting career. Whether or not that ultimately happens, that's probably not a bad mindset with which to approach such a decision. I won't drag up another hypothetical, but I can envision situations where that may be the choice.

I also agree with Bob and Littlebillie that good planning can prevent most problems. Two-deep leadership isn't the only requirement. In Cubs, we are required to have 5:1 boy to adult ratio, in addition to being two-deep. (I don't know if Boy Scouts has a similar requirement.) Keeping that ratio should provide enought adults to cover most situations.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knowingly broke the G2SS rules! Mea culpa!

Two weeks ago I held my last den meeting. The Webelos Scouts in my den had already earned their Arrow of Light. The den meeting that evening was to be held in the church "great hall" to do a final run through of the skit the boys were going to provide to the Pack at the Blue and Gold Banquet that weekend. I had my two sons (one 10 year old Webelos, the other a Life Scout and Den Chief) and was waiting for the other parents to come by with their boys. The other parents came by and one by one they dropped off their son and said they could not stay. My Asst. Webelos leader was not there yet and I fully expected her to stay so I said it would not be a problem to the parents (my first mistake). Well, after all of the other boys had been dropped off and parents left, my Asst. WDL arrived, dropped of her son and said she could not stay either. I somewhat jokingly told her that I would be violating every rule in the book if she left me alone with all of the boys. She laughed and began to leave. I seriously asked her to stay and she said she could not. Suffering a serious lapse in judgement, I just stood there dumbfounded and watched her leave. The boys practiced their skit, played some games, had a great time and an hour later the parents arrived picked up their sons and that weekend enjoyed the AOL, crossover and skit tremendously.

Later, I found out that all of the parents of the den (besides me) were getting together to make final preparations for an award for yours truly and that is why they all got together. But I must say, I did not appreciate being put in that situation. Granted, it was at a church that had other adults present but not in the room I was in.