Long Downhill Bike Ride in Virginia

Somewhere in this forum, a very long downhill bike ride in Virginia was mentioned. My troop is very much interested in this outing. If you are familiar with such a road in Virginia (its supposed to be very popular), please provide me with its location and any details you know about it. Thanks.

I thought the one I was thinking of was in northern Virginia, but it's not. I'm refering to the Virginia Creeper Trail, but it's in southwestern Virginia. I'm sure you'll get the right trail, but hey, look this one up and check the maps out for its grade.

sst3rd

Creeper is a very nice trail, as my troop as done one portion both ways on 2 occasions. Word of warning is you WILL get dirty riding it as it is alot of packed soot (old train track route).

P.S. It is almost flat. Has several wooden bridges and you cross at least one golf cart path ;)

Picture of one bridge:

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/troop155scouting/bridge.jpg(This message has been edited by JFields2002)

I'm pretty confident that the trail I was looking for, is the Virginia Creeper. However, I still have a problem. It turns out that this trail is 8.5 hours away from my town. Although I am interested in doing this trip one day, I know my troop will not want to take a 8.5 hour drive (one way), just to do a 2 to 3 hour bike ride. Sooooooooooo...

Does anyone know of a bike trail that is primarily downhill and flat for 15 miles or more, near D.C. (less than 4 hours away)? Thanks in advance for the help.

Maybe this could be a possible for a 3 day weekend....

Salisbury, Maryland to Lewes, Delaware to Cape May, New Jersey via the ferry...

or...

Salisbury, Maryland to Williamsbug, Va. via Tangier Island....

or...

do an internet search using "Rails to Trails, Virgina", or Rails to Trails, Maryland"

lots to pick and choose from at these sites.......