Yet a different outcome on the gay issue

The story below deals with developments in Southern Florida - again. While I think I am tolerant, I have always been clear that I support the BSA's position regards adult members. I don't honestly know how I would deal with a scout who came to me in confidence and said that he was gay. BSA policy says throw the kid out. I am not sure that is the right solution for such a youth. The "settlement" described below apparently will lead scouters to refer such youth to gay groups and gay programs for youth. While such a youth would certainly find a welcome in such places, wouldn't this be like throwing a lamb to the lions? How much confidence can be placed in such groups? What are the motivations behind such groups? Where do the parents of such a scout figure in all this? The news story leaves out a lot of details. I wonder what the local council got out of the deal? Continued funding from United Way? Access to public facilities without hassle? Is it all worth it?

One hopes the local scout leadership knows what it is doing. One would like to know much more.

Gay leaders, Boy Scouts reach accord

By Ellis Berger

Miami Bureau

Posted July 18 2001

MIAMI In marked contrast to the ongoing vitriolic battles over human rights laws in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, local Boy Scout officials and gay activists announced an agreement Tuesday after yearlong discussions that both sides say will lead to better understanding and respect.

The Boy Scouts of America's South Florida Council said it will work with gay organizations to educate its volunteer leaders to be more sensitive to the needs of members who identify themselves as homosexuals -- and who will continue to be excluded under the national policy when that becomes known.

And gay community leaders, in turn, said they will continue to emphasize publicly support for freedom of association laws -- even those the U.S. Supreme Court upheld last year when it ruled that the Scouts and other private groups have the right to bar gays from membership.

"As matter of practical application, our agency is not set up to deal with gay children," said Scout Executive Jeffrie Herrmann. "We recognize there are other groups that are prepared to do so, and we want to arm our volunteer leaders to help move kids in that direction. One of the core values we teach our kids is respect for individuals, even those who believe differently than we do. But we are in very, very basic discussions on which way we're going, and it would be premature to talk about specifics."

Part of the agreement included an opinion page column by Herrmann that appeared in the Sun-Sentinel last week in which he denounced efforts by anti-gay forces in both counties that invoked the council's name in petition drives to overturn human rights ordinances that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation.

"We are not involved in these petition drives, will take no position on them, and we have asked the groups repeatedly to cease using our name and reputation for their own political gain," wrote Herrmann, whose council covers Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties.

That position was strengthened by an internal Scout memorandum, made public during the news conference Tuesday at United Way headquarters in Miami, that says the local council will vigorously prosecute any group that attempts to use copyrighted Scout identification "to imply endorsement of their political agenda by our movement."

The agreement was made possible because both sides avoided arguing over national policies and focused instead on local issues that would benefit young people, both straight and gay, said Jorge Mursuli, chairman of SAVE Dade, the civil rights organization that is fighting attempts to repeal the county's human rights ordinance.

"We were parties who did not have much trust for each other when we started this process last July," Mursuli said.

"The question for me was how do we coexist? If I cannot affect the national policy, how can I affect the quality of life for gay kids? The training will go a long way towards doing that by educating people and helping them be more tolerant."

Ellis Berger can be reached at eberger@sun-sentinel. com or 305-810-5004.

"As matter of practical application, our agency is not set up to deal with gay children," said Scout Executive Jeffrie Herrmann. "

To me, this is an insane comment for any BSA official to make. Of course we're not set up to deal with them. If we don't believe the behavior is normal or natural, why should we have programs set up to deal with it? If BSA ever does "deal with it", it should be in stark contrast to the programs inferred in this article.

If a boy comes to me and indicates that he believes he is a homosexual, I will do my best to convince him not to pursue it. I would find the healthiest and most loving way to convince him that he is confused.

Legally, this may not be the way to go. Certainly, the parents should play a big part in what happens when a boy comes forward with such a declaration. In fact, they should be in full control of the situation (above any group or government agency). I would advise them as soon as I became aware of the boy's situation. Still, my heart would not allow me to let that child go without trying to convince him that he was confused about his "orientation".

I would never send him to a group, which condones homosexuality. I would send him to an organization that recognizes the behavior as abnormal. I would send him to a group that would deal with him in a sensitive manner, but one that would not re-enforce his confusion.