Hmmmm....maybe I'm a man-scout? If it weren't for my boys getting into scouts I wouldn't be camping at all. But I have probably done 100+ nights; I would argue that it is a good thing. It helps to have the structure and as times goes on I grow more proficient. Now I am counseling another adult newbie (a 45 PI lawyer) who is gamely venturing into the wild to please his son.

But all in the context of delivering a good boy-led program as possible.

We had a great Troop meeting last night and the boys ran most of it; yeah I really didn't want to go to "scout work" last night (I think I am burning out a bit) but once there enjoyed working with the boys, joking with the fellow scouters, and the occasional flirting with the mom's. So, yeah, I guess I do get something out of it.

It has changed the culture of my family. Now on vacation me and the boys will strap on packs for sightseeing and my wife thinks we are crazy when we go "its only 5 miles--easy".

I get the same "buzz" out of it that I got when I was teaching:

(1) It is great to pass on knowledge. Very rewarding when a boy starts doing what you helped teach him.

(2) You need to constantly refresh your learning (the learn-teach model) to stay on your game.

(3) There is some structure (tests, practice) to help things along.

(4) Ceremony and recognition.

(5) Socialization.

In addition I spend more time with (or near) my sons when another activity may keep me away. They'll be gone soon enough.