How do you make a good roundtable?

Our August Cub Scout Roundtable will be my last as Roundtable Commissioner.

It will be set up as a model recruiting night displaying my methods of using a stomp bottle rocket launch to attract boys and parents --- it's the most powerful means I know to achieve that objective.

To that end, unit leaders and unit membership chairs will be invited to bring their Cub Scouts to experience the stomp bottle rocket launch. The idea will be to encourage units to use the rocket launch or some other effective means to attract boys and parents to their fall recruiting night.

We will also be featuring an ice cream social as part of the Roundtable.

One of the ideas of Roundtable is as supplemental training for unit leaders. That's been my usual aim for the two years I've been Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner.

I've looked for things I've either done well, or things I've done poorly as Roundtable themes. I've then aimed to recruit the best leaders in the district to discuss that theme of the month. Generally that has been pretty useful, in my opinion.

Turnout still tends to be mediocre. People are reluctant to turn out for meetings.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concept of Roundtable is fundamentally flawed: "Unit Scouters, we want you to come in here once a month so that we can give you training and information that we think you should have (whether or not _you_ want it or need it or already have it)." I think that is why a good Roundtable is a rare thing. For a lot of people, it is like the dentist summoning you for a checkup then spending most of the time going over how to brush and floss.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

I am sorry DKurtenbach, I must heartily dissagree with you. A "Roundtable" is not just a "check-up". When done properly, the experienced Scouters can help the new Scouters. It is not supposed to be a "presentation/lecture" (which unfortunately a lot of them have turned into.)

I moved my Roundtable from a church to a Village Inn resturant last month because the people supposed to open the door were over a half hour late (not unusual). Had one of the GREATEST Roundatbles I have seen in a while. People felt more comfortable and chatted about things comming up and what to do. It was a REAL Roundtable.

My $0.02 for what it is worth.

Rick

Hell manno,

>

Well, presentations have been at the core of my Roundtables. My aim has been to take various issues in Cub Scouts that leaders need to know and give the best ideas on how such things can be done well.

That ranges from such things as recruiting new adult leaders to doing an effective popcorn sale.

I always tried to get the leaders from units who did these things especially well as presenters, but too often I got little support from unit leaders.

>

One good feature of a Roundtable program is giving people an opportunity to raise questions about things they needs ideas on how to do, and to get ideas from other leaders. It sounds like that's what your program did with this meeting.

Also, lots of things can be good as a change of pace. But I doubt that a general talkfest would work as the primary part of a Roundtable program for very long.