I know that as a new WBer I will be next month awarded my "2" beads. I also know that come August I will be Staffing a WB Course as will be awarded the "3rd" bead. I know that BP worn 6 beads, and William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt, was a 5 beader. I also know that the Course Director is a *4* beader. Are there still "5" beader's awarded?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to 1st Gilwell Park Scout group, after the original beads were gone, participants in the course were asked to carve their second bead out of beech or another wood (don't remember which). So until the person carved their second, they wore one bead.

Each country that founded Wood Badge within their borders had 1 Deputy Gilwell Park Chief, and that person wore 5 beads. Technically, the current Wood Badge coordinator could also wear 5 beads, but a lady at the National Museum told me it was pretentious enough to think you could fill the shoes of GBB and wear 5. Hah.

The six beads are worn by the Gilwell Park Camp Chief in charge of training and program, so the tradition is still there.

It's interesting to note that Bear Grylls as Chief Scout wears B-P's original Silver Wolf for special occasions. I think that's pretty cool.

Thanks.

This is what I was looking for. I sort of had an argument with another Scouter this weekend, and he attended WB, Finished his Ticket but never got beaded. I'm trying to get him beaded, but no word for when this will happen. Anyway, he tried to make me believe that that only BP wore 5 beads, and he never heard of Green Bar Bill?? I told him that Green bard was a 5 beader and that the National Wood Badge Director could wear 5 beads. But since your telling me now that the UK Gilwell Director can wear 6 beads then this is even more info then I could have imagined. Anyway, I need to find a link with this to e-mail him so he can get his argument straight. Now that I have mine straight.

GBB earned his 5 beads many many years ago.

He had a logo that had the 5 beads plus the 2 green bars that he put on stuff.

I actually have no idea if BP worn more then 5 beads.

Basically:

Complete WB- 2 beads

WB staff/Assistant Course Director- 3 beads

WB Course Director- 4 beads

Deputy Gilwell Camp Chief/WB National Coordinator- 5 beads

Gilwell Camp Chief- 6 beads

however, in the UK, no one wears more then 2 beads. they stopped doing 3 & 4 beads.

Lets not forget, how many beads you get determines how good a scouter, lol.

Just like how many knots how many WB beads you have is irrelevant to how good a leader you are or how good a program. Any scouter in it for just the beads and/or the knots misses the whole point of scouting and should resign, because the only service they are truly giving is to themselves, not the youth or scouting.

BadenP, not to sound ugly, but why do you think it necessary to bring this up on my thread. I was asking a simple question. Not the politics that several of you seem to bring up every time anything WB is mentioned. You have nothing to add to my question, perhaps it's better if you go to another thread to do this. This is trolling..

ScoutBox, while I do understand your point about BadenP's bringing it up. I actually think it may serve a purpose in the long run although in the short term it does come accross a bit brusque.

The problem is a matter of some of the history regarding leader awards and leaders who are not in it for the boys but rather for themselves. I do understand the concepts and I know that there are people out there who participate in Scouting solely for their own personal gain and as long as the boys still benefit then it will continue and that is okay but there are also individuals (I have known several over the years) who lose sight of the goals of the program and it becomes about themselves and what they "do". I have even known a few of these leaders who have kids who are not participating (I use the term loosely as an abstract) and want to but can't because their parents are too "busy" with the program. This definitely creates a schism in the culture and some of the people who heavily promote WB fall into the group of social climbers (for lack of a better description). These people can really create the stigma.

In our Council, there is a definite negative stigma about WoodBadge and I know a lot of people who are trying to change that but there are enough people who are poor examples that it is hard to forget where the negativity comes from. From what we have read and seen in these online forums indicates that my experiences have been no different than that of many others and the constant reminder will hopefully make everyone aware of the issue and help prevent people from falling into the "trap".

WB is a great program and provides tools that can help any leader improve his program but it is not the end the road or Valhalla, it is just an educational process that allows for bonding with other like minded individuals and a sense of belonging to a greater purpose. It is not a mandatory training and I do not think it should be as it would be ruined like so many other programs have been but it is a fantastic experience for those that successfully complete it.

I can also say from experience that staffing it is even better than being a participant and you learn much more the second time around. I know that for me (I have Asperger's syndrome) it was a very difficult experience but all of my fellow staff pulled together and helped me succeed and that is part of what makes it such a great experience. I could never have done it alone and I unfortunately I doubt I will be asked to staff again but it was an experience that I will cherish forever.

I agree with Hawkrod, he's description of Wood Badge as

"it is just an educational process that allows for bonding with other like minded individuals and a sense of belonging to a greater purpose."

Is one of the best I have seen. And although BadenP may seem obstreperous at times, his life's experiences and education give him an unique viewpoint on things that few here, or anywhere can match

ScoutBox,

I really don't think BadenP is trolling. His experiences in Scouting have undoubtedly shaped the lens he views this particular issue with, so his response should neither surprise nor offend.

For my own part, I own two beads that I hardly ever wear. I get self-conscious when I wear them due to the mystique/cultishness/cliquiness that often surrounds them. Simply put, that's not me. And I would agree with BadenP that this whole bead-counting exercise cannot be good for Scouting.

I asked the question because I needed the answer. I didn't ask it for myself. I am not looking to get 6 beads.. In fact I am yet too me beaded. Will happen next month. I needed the information because I had a conversation with someone else, who is a Know it all, and in fact he was wrong. So I thank those of you who replied with an answer. As for why people join scouting, or WB etc.. that is already a subject beaten into the ground on several Threads on here, so If I wanted that information I could have opened any other Wood Badge Thread to have gotten that information. Again I only wanted to know WHO in Scouting wore beads, as in Does the National WB chief wear 5 beads?? Trolling is what is happening and what happens on most of the WB threads here. Getting off of the subject, bringing up someones opinion about if it's still WB or should it be something else etc.. whatever.. Just not what I was asking. We had an expression in the Army. Assuming makes and ass out of you and me.. I wasn't trying to be ugly about my comment, just asking to stay on subject.

YIS,

SB