BTW, OGE hit the nail on the head. And I'm not here to question anyones feelings about Scouting. I though we were all here to learn more and to share ideas. But I was just a little heated when I read that. I feel that I can't ask a simple question without be named something I ain't. I'm not in it for myself. But I do like having fun when I do something. My son and the Scouts in his troop and in our Council are what's important to me. But I am dealing with a guy on my side who is one of those types who thinks he needs to express his ideas on everyone. And he got it wrong, So I wanted to make sure I had it right. Not that it will change anything. He replied to my letting him know what the correct info was as OTT?? Whatever that means.. So, doesn't matter anyway, but at least I know better now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scoutbox and nolesrule

I think you both need to get a better understanding of the definition of trolling since you both misunderstand what it truly means. The title of this thread is "The Number of Beads Worn", then a discusiion insued concerning how to earn beads 3-4-5. My comment was purely to state that the number of beads are irrelevant to being a good scout leader plain and simple. Scoutbox you somehow took this as a personal attack on you which it was not, neither was it trolling because you were unclear as to your actual question and the thread was already heading in another direction.

Scoutbox you need to get over yourself, to become so offended and angry over nothing is truly laughable, don't be so sensitive. How do you survive as a scout leader if you can't discuss something without becoming so enraged?

nolesrule :as usual your comment was off topic and not worth replying to.

See now, I just thought ScoutBox wanted to know what the limits were of Beads and who had worn the most and that sort of stuff. Sorta like the esoteric discussion about whether or not there will be another 6 star general in the US Army

I didnt get the impression he wanted to add beads to his total, just who had them

BadenP wrote "nolesrule :as usual your comment was off topic and not worth replying to. "

Um, OK. As usual? What's that supposed to mean?

I've been running Internet message board communities for well over a decade. I know what a troll is. I've had to moderate my share into oblivion over the years.

I've also been reading all the WB threads lately. Those were debating course content. This was just a question with an objective answer, and it was already answered. You added nothing to the discussion, other than inflammatory remarks. The OP called you on it, and I agreed with him.

OGE wrote, "Or a simple misunderstanding with malice towards none and charity for all "

I almost fell off my chair laughing.

BadenP, I have been on many boards for the past 7 years. I am also a member of one of the worst boards on the internet. MP.NET. Where as a BTDT, I have gotten attacked by 13 year old kids thinking that I must be wrong about something I did for 10 years serving in the military because it didn't match up to his idea of what an Army Ranger is like on the films.. so When I start a Thread about a subject, I would like that thread to stay on subject. Like I said and was said by others on here, there are several threads on WB going, and many people including yourself have brought up the idea of how selfish Scouters are for going to WB, and wearing the uniform, or how WB isn't the way it used to be, so it must be useless. Well, this thread was only about one question. And that question was WHO can or does wear beads after 4 beads. This was brought about because I was in a conversation with someone else over the weekend, on a Scout Hiking Trip. Nothing else. I am not looking to earn, obtain, win, or find 4, 5, 6 beads..

Now back to the Thread, usually when someone starts a thread, that person dictates the direction of a thread. That said that person can get away from the subject, and normally admin and MODs keep an eye on this. Trying to keep that thread on subject, and letting those who want to highjack his or her thread know that this is unexceptable. I was just letting you know that I didn't like it that you did what you did. And now look, You have won, you not only highjacked my thread, and not respected my wishes, but you have gone and started name calling, and shown me that your agenda is the only discredit the Wood Babdge program, and anything to deal with it on this forum. I am here to gain help, share ideas, gain information, meet other scouters, and make friends. But not fight, or show un.scout like behavior...

YIS

SB

I wouldn't be to hard on BadenP, here is a guy who has worked with the IRS, worked in the BSA, worked in the Catholic Church and did DOD Intelligience work for several years.

Along the way he got Advanced Divinity Degrees from both Notre Dame (Masters) and Harvard (Doctorate), is an ordained minister and still very involved in Scouting. He may have a brusque style at times but he has the best interest of scouting at heart.

BadenP, if I got anything wrong, please correct me

OGE, all the credentials in the world don't make up for immature behavior, name calling and trolling. If they did, I would have reported to an admin that I thought his account was hacked.

We are all on equal level here.

BadenP wrote "Sometimes you can act like such a whining little wussy, like now. Have a nice evening. "

Case in point.

I'd love to have some citation for these whiny, wussy accusations. I certainly can't recall in my 670-something posts that I've ever ranted about anything more than once or twice, and I'm pretty sure it didn't come across as whiny.

This is a clear case of someone getting called out for displaying poor forum behavior and then lashing out at those who dare point it out. Reminds me of small children and teenagers.

As for the topic, I appreciate ScoutBox asking the question. I learned a few things about the actual topic of this thread.

Not to high-jack the thread

But...

Threads in this forum do seem to have a way of ... Shall we say meandering and taking on a life of their own.

I tend to look at much like a group standing around a camp-fire. Someone starts a conversation about oatmeal and in next to no time the conversation is about the mating habits of the black widow spider.

I don't know why? It just kinda happens.

In an effort to kinda sorta get back on track.

I got some very strange looks when I wore my uniform with 4 beads when I was visiting Gilwell Park. My English Scouter friends thought wearing 4 beads was "Over the top".

I'm proud of my beads and wear them with pride.

While there are exceptions to almost every rule. I haven't met anyone who has the fourth bead who hasn't learned that these beads are more about service to others than anything else.

The link I posted does I think give a nice outline of the history about how the beads came to be.

There was a time in the UK when Scouter's who were trained but hadn't taken Wood Badge wore a little patch above one of the shirt breast pockets with one bead. It became affectionately known as the "Peanut Badge".

There are some Wood Badge regalia myths that I have heard of but have never really taken the time to check out. Such as the leather that went into making the woggle used to come from the drive belts of Singer Sewing Machines? I don't know how true this one is.

Then there is the MacLaren tartan. Some say that anyone completing Wood Badge is allowed to wear this tartan and claim membership of the MacLaren clan?

I know when I attended the Wood Badge reunion at Gilwell Park, there seemed to be more than a fair share of big beefy guys with beards wearing kilts with the tartan. So much so that one year I wore my Irish kilt with the County Meath tartan. Of course I'm a skinny little fellow with matchstick legs (But very sexy knees!) And don't have a beard, so I just looked silly.

Ea.

nolesrule

It's okay guy I have nothing against you or the whole bead thing. I made the one point I wanted to make about WB beads and I was done with this thread, it was you that wanted to make issue and create the tension in your own thread, not me. I forgive you though nolesrule and hold no grudge. Time to let sleeping dogs lie.