What First Aid training should a Cubmaster have?

I'm currently Tiger Leader, and it looks like I'll be Cubmaster next year. Our Pack is in a typical suburban area, and we do an average amount of outdoor activities, usually at Council facilities. Obviously, I'm in a Cub Scout pack right now, so I'm not too concerned about wilderness first aid. We also camp as a family, in established campgrounds, but in some cases the closest law enforcement or ambulance might be many minutes away.

I'm not particularly concerned about what the BSA requires (although obviously, I plan to meet any minimum requirements). After all of the various threads about medical issues and first aid training, I'm wondering what level of training I should realisticly get. I want to be reasonably competent to deal with emergencies.

In college, about 30 years ago, I took American Red Cross Advanced First Aid. I learned enough to know that I didn't know very much (which I didn't realize when they handed me my First Aid merit badge). I also recently took about a two hour course at work on CPR and AED, and got some sort of card from the National Safety Council saying that I'm certified. The main thing I learned in that course is that even if you don't know what you're doing, you should open up the AED and follow the instructions, since it probably won't allow you to cause much harm.

I don't currently have BALOO training, but I'll be taking that before I take over as CM.

What do you suggest I do to train myself? Keep in mind that this will all be coming out of my own limited time and funds. And I have no idea who I would even call to sign up for a class.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what should be in the First Aid kit in my car? I had occasion to be present twice when the First Aid kit was opened at council facilities, and the contents were pretty sparse and poorly maintained. From other threads, I get the idea that in addition to the normal Band-Aids, etc., I ought to have benadryl and Pedialyte available, so if anyone has those kinds of suggestions, I would appreciate them as well.(This message has been edited by clemlaw)

My thoughts,

1) get either an ARC First Aid course, or AHA Hearsaver First aid at a minimum. Local ARC chapter can get info for them, and try the local hospital or med school for AHA.

2)In reference to first aid kits, I can't answer that as the pack had an EMT or paramedic instructor as CM who always kept his duffle bag in the car. EDITED: the joke was that he had so much gear in it that he could perform surgery if he had to. :) It was big and only good for car camping or storing at a base camp.

What I have a an approx 12x12" FA kit from ARC that was a gift. EDITED: my kit is the Large Pillow pit found here

http://www.waco.redcross.org/index.php?pr=Buy_First_Aid_Kits

But what I am doing is taking the WFA first aird kit recommendations, and will be creating a new kit to supplement mine. rather have too much than not enough. I will also talk to my ADL as he is a EMT about what else to put into the kit.

I do know REI has a sale on FA kits at REI Outlet as I almost bought one last nite. This FL case is getting to me, and with the EMT instructor moving up, I know the pack, as well as CSDC, will need resources.

I originally had the Mountaineering FA book in my kit, but now have the more compact BSA WFA book that has been referenced in another thread. it's a bout $6, fits in a cargo pocket, and was written by the guy who created WMI.

Any professional rescuers want to chip in?(This message has been edited by eagle92)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Knowledge of what to do and the skill to do it are more valuable than the specific content of a kit. I don't think that the wilderness training is over the top for cub leaders. Have a few in your unit with training, not just you.

The kits that you can get at a store are often a good start. If you're doing mostly unit camping at council facilities, you can assemble stuff in a tackle box / tool box. The GTSS has a good list of items for a unit box.

I have several different 'kits' for different situations, for example the stuff I take backpacking is a lot smaller than the go bag that rides around in my car.

The Boy Scout Handbook, and Webelos Handbook have good suggestions on personal kit contents.

Things to consider for group outings: any pre-existing problems (diabetes, etc), size of group, duration of trip, environment.

Go to the Red Cross web site and look for classes near you.

You said that you recently took a CPR course at work. Check your certification card to see when it expires. You might just need the basic First Aid course, without CPR/AED.

Red Cross has a relationship with BSA. Contact your local Red Cross branch to see what they can do for your unit.

Start with a basic first aid course, usually about 6-8 hours.

If you are the CM, everyone will be looking to you (your position) whenever anything needs to happen. You might consider scheduling a Saturday class and encouraging all the Den Leaders to attend the class together. That way you are free to manage the scene and Pack while other uniformed leaders are performing actual first aid. The Pack could help pay for all or some of the class costs. Most parents would see that as a useful way to spend pack Money.

The Pack I was a member of paid for all leader training and encouraged leaders to complete all position training. We scheduled a Saturday class and all the Den Leaders took basic 1st Aid and CPR. We also had the Webelose take BAT, Basic Aid Training which is geared to kids that age. I don't know if ARC still offers that class by that name.

Are you guys kidding..........Wilderness first aid for a Cub master. Yes it is over the top. It will expire before he will use it.

The kids for the most part are under supervision of their parents.

The basic first aid course at the local red cross would be more than adequate. besides a cub with a cut hand, is momma gonna let you see it to fix it???? nope, mom and dad usually will use my first aid kit to take care of it.

Then these big fancy first aid kits we get into training........Are you trained to use all the stuff in it???? Some have suture kits, some have meds, some have that new coag pack in them. What happens if you use something more than a bandaid and the boy has a reaction?

Then who maintains the kit? Most everything has an expiration date on it. I have trouble keeping up with it.

would you use an epi-pen on a scout? NO, the boy or his parent should administer it. In boy scouts the boy should be able to do it. Red cross does offer training to allow us to do it.

Maybe I should clarify.

1) I am looking into expanding my FA kit since so that it can also be used at CSDC.

2) My CM's kit is paramedic grade, as he is on call 24/7. Thus it's kept in the trunk of his car at all times.

3) I would rather have too much stuff in my kit, than not enough. Although some things I saw, i.e. the suture stuff, I too think is going overboard.

4)in a life or death situation, I will do whatever it takes, and will use any and all knowldge to save the life. While standard FA courses do not cover epipens, one course I took DID cover it, and we were given a physician's standing order to use them if it meets criteria. grant you that was when I worked in a 'hoods in da woods" program and the epi pen was standard issue in the FA kits we kept at all times.

Also this may or may not be legal, I'll leave that to the PTB if the situation arises, but I know someone who told several of us to use her, stressing HER, epi pen if something was to happen to her. She even got us epi pen trainers to practice giving her the shot. After 2 or 3 visits to the ED, she wants everyone around her to knwo what to do: give her the shot and get her to the ED!

Short,

I think he was referring to me as I did mention WFA kit, and in rereading my post, it did sound confusing. Hence my clarification.

I agree unless you are multi-registered, or running events in remote areas, Alaska and some Western states come to mind, I woldn't worry about WFA, or should I use the new ARC abbreviation WRFA.

Clem,

If WFA is more convient, and affordable (that is my problem as there is a severe shortage of WFA instructors and the charge is an arm and a leg, figurately speaking), then do take it.

From my read of the books, WFA goes into alot more detail on stabilizing and using resources than the normal course.