I am being told that Scout Parents will also need to complete Youth Protection Training... but Tiger Cub Partners will not ?? huh ??

To become a Scout Parent in the past, one just fills in the bubble on the BOY'S application (the lower half where the parent places their own info)

So now when a parent signs up their son for scouting, and they fill in that bubble... will the scout office turn them down ? Will they tell the parent to come back AGAIN after completing the online course?

No, Scout parents do not have to do the mandatory YPT unless they are actually joining your unit and filling out an adult application. Tiger parents do not have to take it. Any parent can take it if they wish, just to know the policies, but they don't have to.

At a recent RT we were told, "if the Adult pays $" then YPT is needed..." but tiger partners are "Encouraged" to take YPT... this is especially important if they intend to become Wolf DL.

But MBC's who are not registered Scouters also have to complete YPT...

I think it is a great idea for Parents to complete youth protection. We have had some youth protection violations on some of our outings.....It wasn't leaders but well meaning parents.

So we instituted a policy of everyone gets youth protection trained before going on a family camp out.

Just the way it is going to be.

MBC's are registered.. They have to fill out the registration info, and go through the check for any violations.. What MBC's don't do is have to pay to register.. They are registered as at district level if they are not associated in any other way to a unit.

But, you are right that MBC's do have to have YPT..

Therefore the statement that anyone who has to pay for registration is incorrect.. It is really anyone who is registered.. Paying could be a confusing message anyway, since some units pay for their volunteers and they don't know they are paying..

But Scout Parents & tiger Parents do not fill out an application or pay for registration. All they do is check off something on their scouts application. They are not required to take YPT.

WestCoastScouter and Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

Like many, I don't have a concrete answer from the book, but I do have an opinion on the topic that I would like to share.

ScoutParent is a position on the charter. It is not a paid membership position though. BSA nor the troops can enforce membership to complete any training. However BSA (and Chartering Organizations) can refuse membership applications if they do not complete training; furthermore BSA can not endorse tour permits, if all the requirements are not met by the unit.

Under the ScoutParents literature found at (www.scoutparents.org) http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-001.pdf BSA recognizes that not all parents will join. But parents will drive, carry, sell, purchase, move equipment, and conduct some of the background work, in support of their son, the Scoutmaster and the Unit Committee. Some may be older siblings, relatives, guardians, and etc.

BSA covers some of their legal issues with ScoutParents, by the YP Pamphlet in the Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos and Boy Scout Handbooks. In order to achieve Bobcat and Scout Ranks, a Scout must review the YP Pamphlet with the parent or guardian. If I recall it is endorsed by the parent or guardian. Read it or not, the parent or guardian assumes responsibility for YP.

So, as an opinion. I don't expect ScoutParents to complete any training or be required to complete that training, by their choice not to complete an adult volunteer application.

By their choice, the ScoutParents may (or may not) drive, carry, move equipment or etc. But their son(or daughter) will still be invited to participate in Scouting.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

As of June 1, 2010, Youth Protection training is required for ALL BSA REGISTERED volunteers, regardless of their position.

To be a REGISTERED BSA volunteer, you must fill out a BSA ADULT Application.

Per the BSA Q&A on Youth Protection training on the BSA National Web site -

Q9: I am a Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent. Do I need to take Youth Protection training?

A9: The Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent designations are not REGISTERED adult positions; therefore, mandatory Youth Protection training is not required. It is strongly recommended, however, that all adults involved in Scouting take Youth Protection training.

WCScouter, perhaps the person who told you this was thinking of a ScoutParent Unit Coordinator. This IS a REGISTERED adult volunteer position, and as such IS required to take Youth Protection training.

dg98adams - If you have folks who are counseling Merit Badges, and are NOT registered members of the BSA, then they are NOT qualified Merit Badge Counselors, and should NOT be meeting with any BSA youth. Using unregistered folks to sign off on Merit Badges has the potential to cause a lot of grief for the youth.

That is a good question. How are your councils handling the YPT for MBC?? Like this is my husbands problem as District Advancement Chair. He knows new MBC's need the YPT with their registrations. He needs to call all MBC's to fix a very outdated list, but with everyone else, he is just telling them about the YPT.

Besides trashing all MBC's unless you do this every two years, this will only work once, how will your Council deal with making sure MBC's YPT are up-to-date? With no report telling you the registered districts volunteers status with the YPT and with MBC's not having to re-register with the yearly charters, what are the ideas of how they will monitor this?

I hate to see my husband go through the summer with him and a few other volunteers calling and updating a list to see the council trash all the MBC before this December..

On the BSA Merit Badge Counselor Application, it states -

As a merit badge counselor, I agree to - Renew my registration annually if I plan to continue as a merit

badge counselor.

I have heard some councils plan to send out a new Merit Badge Counselor Application ( http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34405.pdf ), to every currently registered MBC, along with a letter stating that it needs to be returned by XYZ date, and have the certificate from the online YPT attached, in order to continue to be a registered merit badge counselor.

Well the filling out of the Merit Badge app yearly makes better sense then the full Adult Registration and Merit Badge app yearly. Especially if next to a MB they can state "renewing" rather listing all the reasons they are qualified again.. Besides that adult Registration being a pain in the butt with it's detailed info I see this as an unneccessary expense to the council to do background checks on all the MBC's yearly when the Adult leaders only need background checks when they switch positions or units.

Our old Advancement Chair lost and dropped MBC's so much it was frustrating. But, when I complained once, he pointed out that statement..

"As a merit badge counselor, I agree to - Renew my registration annually if I plan to continue as a merit badge counselor"..

You all know me and my prickly disposition. I stated "renewing" didn't mean reapplying from scratch every single year. That we "renew" yearly with the recharter for our unit, that did not mean we had to do all the paperwork to reapply because the Council didn't loose our apps yearly... He hung up the phone in my ear, very loudly. Husband & I then scanned the prefilled out Adult Registration App and MBC form.. into our computer & spit it out with just us needing to sign & date.. But the expense of the council to recheck us yearly when the money could go to better things still got to me.

evmori - if you are asking about MBC and completing on-line YPT. I don't think anyone is disputing if they should or shouldn't. They definatly should.

The question is how are council going to check they take it now they are required to, and make sure that they have not lapsed in their 2 year renewal of it. Unlike other members who yearly pay a fee at recharter time to be a member, there is no yearly checkpoint for them unless National or each council come up with one. So since no hints with National coming up with a game plane, what are the ideas councils are coming up with to do so?

ScoutNut,

When I meant to write, I use Merit Badge councilors in the Trail Drive I chair that are not registered with a TROOP (unit), professionals like Firemen or Doctors... but they ARE registered with the Council via the application.

Our council is blanketing all registered positions with no or expired YPT a letter about full compliance with YPT by the end of the year.

Now, I expect I will have to confirm YPT is also current for all MBC's I use.

So, I am pushing the YPT online link out with the email I send out to invite them to take part in the trail drive. I try to maximize MBC's that use online resources (email - no phone calls) anyway.

I stress "No YPT, no MBC".

Something else I got last night at the District Unit Comm. meeting....

NO GRACE PERIOD at the end of the year for YPT for rechartering. In the past some units have difficulty just getting the basic info in ...

If no YPT, that adult cannot be put on the charter, if the charter can't be complete, the unit WILL NOT be chartered.

I expect YPT will be something we work on for the rest of the year to get all Scouters in compliance.

Sorry for the confusion.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)