After contemplating the Scout Oath and Law, my main concerns about our troop and myself in particular were, are we and am I doing our duty to God? My personal answer was that I was falling short. Our troop has not promoted as we should the religious emblems program. We do have prayers before leaving on trips and also have short services on Sundays, but the religious emblems program recognized by the BSA and GSUSA is a great way for scouts and their families to learn and grow in their faith.

I found the website www.naums.org . What a great source of information for any program. We have since organized a chapter of NAUMS in our church district. It is proving to be a worthwhile effort. Please visit the site.

Doug

Amos 4:13

By the above, I'm assuming that your troop has appointed a Chaplain's Aide. Where is the Chaplain? That is a troop committee position, rather that a troop position. The Chaplain and the Chaplain's Aide both promote the religious emblems, and other forms of doing one's duty to God. Please don't look down on your failure to promote these things, rather encourage the proper leaders to fulfill their responsibilities.

Just back from Antietam National Battleground (Rooster, you have one wet state), anyway, as is our troop tradition we had a Scouts own service before we left. Held it in the Dunkards Church on the battleground.

There was something about singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic in that location.

During my Wood Badge (for the 21st Century) training, I was the Chaplain's Aide for the day they taught us how to put on a ecumenical service. I thought the lessons learned were very apropos.(This message has been edited by acco40)