Fellow Scouters,

I have attended and taught TTT/TDC a few times. And just recently attend the new stand-alone course EDGE, after staffing NYLT a few years ago.

As I understand, previous TTT/TDC instructors do not need to repeat EDGE, but are welcomed.

I do not have all my literature with me right now, but.... There is a statement in the admin guide area of both the 2009 edition NYLT facilitators manual and 2009 edition of the WB21C facilitators manual. If anyone has the manuals readily available they can quote the recent statement about EDGE.

In short. I would say the value of EDGE is good, but a full day is too long. It is a different technique and can/will be put to use. But EDGE could be taught in a 3.5 hour half day seminar, rather than a full 9 hour day (8 hour session, plus 1 hour lunch).

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

• 5 weeks later...

We just ran our first Traner's EDGE course this weekend. I helped staff the course. On my intial review of the syllabus, I thought, and still do, that's it's the most poorly written syllabus that I've ever seen. It definitely needs some editting and refining. I don't see the need for the course to go for 6-8 hours. It could easily be condensed into 3-4 hours. Oddly enough, the syllabus doesn't really use EDGE to present this material. It relies heavily on explaining, but doesn't do much demonstrating, guiding, or enabling. A rewrite incorporating EDGE into delivery of the material would really help.

Oddly enough, the syllabus doesn't really use EDGE to present this material. It relies heavily on explaining, but doesn't do much demonstrating, guiding, or enabling. A rewrite incorporating EDGE into delivery of the material would really help.

hmmm....that was the structure of the course anyway. Lots of explaining early on. Some demonstration. Then guiding with the group and individual presentations. I suppose enabling is sending people forth to train. The structure is in there, course implementation may be another thing.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been to the Trainer's EDGE course yet and I'm not even sure when it will be offered in my council. I have, however, reviewed the syllabus and have a couple of observations:

First, it seems like a very useful course for trainers in general. As a provider of training for my group at work, I feel that this course could be used to train trainers in a non-Scouting environment with surprisingly little tweaking.

Second, and not so glowing, the syllabus as currently posted is more than a little bit drafty. Beyond the formatting and the apparent mismatch between the Table of Contents and the actual page numbers, the syllabus has a rather clunky feel. Still, I have faith that the authors have already made these observations and will clean these issues up very soon.

I'm a little torn, for experienced trainers or corporate professionals who deliver presentations this this programs syllabus appears disorganized, and lacking in depth; for an initial exposure to training methods - especially for a Camp Staff it's a really good program - including the practice delivery portions.

I presented it at our Staff Week and it went well.

IMHO if it's worth your time to present then you also have to "buy in" to it. If you don't think it's worth your time then by all means don't use it - because your students will pick up how you really feel about it; and then complain about how they wasted their time going to do more lackluster BSA training.