I have a friend whose husband has completed his Wood Badge. Is this something appropriately celebrated with a gift or something?

Without more definitive answers, she'll resort to "fancy cake" and call it done. . .but are there traditions out there we (meaning she and I) haven't learned yet?

Why do I feel like you're not serious? :-)

I told her that I thought the beads themselves were sufficient acknowledgement. Based on your oh-so-fashionable suggestion, tho, I told her to look at his patrol animal for gift ideas.

Thanks for your help! (seriously, lol)

Well, I passed your suggestion along before you confirmed it; he already has a kilt.

She's opting for a Bass Pro Shop gift card, which is like flowers for guys. (always appropriate, always appreciated)

Thanks for your help, and I'm sorry I doubted you! :-)

Gifts are given, not required. I always appreciated more the gifts I got from folks that I knew cared about me but that I really wasn't expecting anything from.

When the recipient is EXPECTING a gift, then you might have another problem. But gifts are given.

My only gift problem was with my mom. For the longest time, she would "shotgun" me at christmas and birthday. Even into my adult years. I finally sat her down and asked about her need to give me many gifts, some small, some expensive, but many. She said it was important to her that I like her gift, so out of many, perhaps I would like at least ONE of them... I had to gently remind her that I would love anything she might give me. She seemed genuinely surprised when I told her that I best loved the handmade Christmas ornaments she used to give out. The absolute number of gifts on an occasion declined, but 'two' seemed the regular number for a long time.

My favorite Scout thing? Our Troop staged it's own summer camp for several years on "the property" (see other thread). It was named "Camp Freedom". We received a handmade wood cookie dangle with "C F " wood burned into the disc. I have three, tucked away.

Give with your heart and it will be received by his.

Two things I treasure - the box with a bear sitting on top (not one of those cutesie things, a real representation of a black bear) that is just big enough to keep my woggle and beads in. The other one is a paperweight with the bear emblem with the beads-on-thong kind of wrapped around it done in pewter. It's not the one I just looked at on scoutstuff.org that says Wood Badge, but I'm pretty sure my beloved ordered it from the local Scout shop.

Of course, I now have a couple of other bears from my out-West travels.

Vicki

everything else, really, is just food(This message has been edited by Vicki)

If she wants to give a gift that is really invaluable to a Wood Badge Scouter, she should give a Wood Badge "Why are you spending so much time on Scouting?" free pass certificate.

Have her make up a nice certificate that says something like "Scouting Free Pass" on it.

Then, at some time in the future, when she is beating on him about why he is spending so much time on Scouting and not doing XXXXXX around the house or with her, he can pull out the certificate, give it back to her and she will immediately back off and drop the matter.

If he is a true Wood Badger, I would be surprised if the certificate lasts a week. :)