Hi Everyone,

I just got home from my first weekend of the wood badge course last night. I had a GREAT time!!! I am a Bear den leader and the committer chairman for our Cub Scout pack. I definately do not expect anyone to tell me what to do for my ticket but I was confused a little about the process. I had thought (like many there) that we did five different projects. But right before I left there and after reading on here, it seems to be one ticket with 5 parts to it.

If it was five projects, I was set cause our pack needs a few things done. For example, I was going to make a board with knots on it for meetings to use. We also do not have a candle set or log for rank advancement. I was going to make one of those. And I was going to do a web site for our district. Also, we have no training guides for new den leaders. I was going to create something to help guide a new den leader into the Cub Scouts. So I had four things so far on my list to do.

So now do I just come up with one project with five parts (goals) to it? Is there anyway I can incorporate doing a det of these types of things for my pack as my ticket item? I guess I just need a little direction and hopefully I can go from there.

Thanks for your help!

Warren

Pack 26 Savannah, GA

Hi Warren,

Glad to hear you enjoyed WB and are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work! Have you been assigned a ticket counselor yet? If so, these are great questions to ask him or her. If not, you could also ask your troop guide.

There are different ways to approach developing a ticket but I think the big thing is to give some real thought to how the specific items will fit into a shared vision for where your pack is headed (by shared, I mean you are going to need buy-in from other adult leaders, and if that buy-in doesn't already exist, you may have to build it). And you may benefit from spending a little time bouncing your ideas off of someone who knows you and your unit as well as the WB process - ie, your ticket counselor and/or troop guide.

YiS,

Lisa'bob (A good old bobwhite too!)

As Lisa said, the key is generating a vision of what you want your Pack to look like at time X down the road, then developing the goals and the processes to get you there.

The ticket process is, simply put, a different approach to project and time management.

Now you see why many of us now say "go to the course with no preconceived ideas." :)

Have fun at the second weekend, and at your intersession Patrol meetings.

YiS John

... and a Good old Owl, Too

C-40-05

Warren: Congratulations on attending Wood Badge. Remember your Your troop guide is a valuable resources for getting your ticket written. I'm surprised they let you go home without writing it :)

Here are some hints

A step of writing your Wood Badge Ticket is to document your vision. It consists of three key elements:

Current Situation C Write a statement of what your world looks like TODAY.

Future Situation C what do you want your world TO look like in 18 months?

Steps to get there C What will YOU do to take your team from where they are today to where you want them to be. This section will turn into the 5 Goals of Your Wood badge ticket. You can call them projects, but they will get you from where you are today to where you want to be in 18 minths

Getting these three things nailed is the heart of the Wood badge ticket.

PS

While you are working on your vision, refer to your answers to the 20 questions assignment and see how that relates!

Remember, one of the items needs to include a diversity item.

Thanks everyone! I was not assigned a guide yet - they said I would get that before we leave the second part. I do have a troop guide (GO BEAVERS!) and will email him. I definately want to make an impact with my ticket item. I heard some people making comments of what they can just do to get by for their beads. Thats not what its all about to me anyways. I was not one of those parents that got "recruited" - I was the first to raise my hand and volunteer and have been doing so ever since.

I will give him a call tonight to get a better view of this so I can see where I need to go with this. And yes, diversity does need to be one of the items. I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks

Warren

Warren,

Greetings!

Congrats again on taking Wood Badge this year! Your Pack will benefit from what you will learn.

Regarding your question. The ticket is normally five different agendas or projects. Mostly they apply to your primary registered Position. During your second weekend, you will probably receive blank forms, some instruction, and time to discuss your own ticket with the Course Director.

Comparing it to the college system, it would be similar to a University Dean asking you to write your own Performance Examination, before awarding your diploma.

You may have some ideas, to create a better program in your Cub Scout Pack, which you should certainly go to Wood Badge with. But it will be a negotiation of your ticket items or goals between yourself, your coach counselor, and the course director (Mr/Ms Scoutmaster) of what actually makes it onto the paper ticket you will carry home.

Most times the Scoutmaster may know what needs should be satisfied in most units. For example, more effective communications between Cub Scout parents, may be satisfied by a Pack Newsletter.

Congrats and hope to hear(or read) good things about your ticket, and even more, about your ticket completion!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Thanks Crew21, they already gave us the papers for writing our tickets. they strongly suggested we pretty much have this done when we return. No one can go home till they approve everyone's ticket the next weekend. :)

I'm a Bear den leader and the committee chairman. I'm just trying to figure how to create a ticket by what we need. I had stated above we need a few items I can create. I'm already doing the newsletter now. We definately need some sort of training guide for new leaders. When I joined as the Wolf den leader, I was just handed some notebooks of info and no one sat down with me to explain it. So a better type of training info with den meeting examples, etc. could be used. Or create this and create a training person in the committee may be good. I just want to make sure my ticket is something that really helps.

Warren

Warren, not to get side tracked, but what you are describing re: den leader guidelines should be covered at least in part (large part) in the standard position-specific training for den leaders that your council and district should already be offering.

Gotta agree with Lisa, Den Leader Position Specific Training is a standard BSA module. (Actually there are 3, one each for tigers, W/B, and Webelo).

What might be a better vision is creating a culture of training and performance for direct contact Scouters in your Pack.

The Goal could be that at least one other den leader lacks only tenure for receiving their DL knot when you complete your course.

The implementation would be:

1) Each Den leader registers at https://scoutnet.scouting.org/MyScouting/

2) Each den leader does their particular Fast Start online

3) Each den leader does Youth Protection online.

4) Each den leader does the following classes through your District Training Committee:

- New Leader Essentials (what I call the common core)

- Position Specific Training (TDL, W/B DL, or WDL).

- BALOO or Outdoor Webelos Leader Seminar (what's it called THIS MONTH?).

You can do a similar item for the CM/ACM and your fellow committee people.

Maybe you can create an item which covers supplemental training (Pow-Wow or University of Scouting).

-

My WB21C ticket was one big project with five subparts to it -- I know others had a more general "vision" and five seemingly unrelated mini-projects that supported the larger vision. Either way is OK.

Bottom line: your ticket will be whatever you and your Troop Guide decide on and agree to (your TG will also consult with your Course Director and Scoutmaster to ensure your ticket is feasible).

Like you, I wanted to start writing my ticket before the second weekend; in fact, when I returned, I had three completely different and fully-written tickets because at the time I wasn't part of a unit. So writing a unit-based ticket was kinda hard. But by the end of my 18-months, I certainly would be involved in a unit.

My TG counseled me to go with a district-level project since I could not assure them I would be in a unit within a short time (its a long story -- I was in San Antonio and my family was in Maryland while I went through WB21C, but they joined me within six months).

In any event, if you have an idea of what you want to do, you'll be ahead of the game if you draft a ticket before the second weekend.

Good luck!